Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carter afb?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GORRILLA, Jun 6, 2004.

1. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

Is carter still making these carbs?
    I looked for a rebuild on jeg's, summit and auto zone and couldn't find a listing for the carbs or a rebuild.
    Keep in mind that I am not that good with a computer.
    But I swaped in a 350 to this guys truck and the thing ran great, until I throttled on it. It started to run rough and loading up. Then, it started leaking fuel out the side where the linkage is.
    I know carter isn't my favorite, but is this guy goin have get a new carb, or can I find a rebuild somewhere?
    The number off the carbs is 9605s 0275. That's the only number we could find.
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

As far as I know they're the same as the edlebrocks. Those rebuild kits are around $40

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I believe Edelbrock bought carter and carter AFB's are the same carb as standard style edelbrocks. So therefore edelbrock parts should work. I may be wrong though.

4. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I think that they are both built by Weber. The Summit part number on the Carter AFB is CRT-9605. The Summit website says it not available but I called about one a couple days ago and they said they still sell them. I don't know if they have parts or not, and I think that some parts (maybe metering rods /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif) may be different from an AFB to an Edelbrock.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Carter is now part of another company. Edelbrock is identical ( probably bought rights or license ) except the rods and jets cannot be mixed . One is tapered and the other is stepped. Otherwise identical carbs. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

Now as for fuel coming out the linkage , are you sure it isnt leaking out the top near linkage and dripping onto it ? I was thinking since gasket is higher than fuel is supposed to be , that you could possibly just have the floats ( 2 on those ) set wrong /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

I wish you were right, but it's not the gasket.
    On the passenger side of the carb, where the linkage pokes out, from the gasket down is clean and dry. At the bottom of that linkage it drips, about every 2 seconds.
    From what I have seen, some older, worn out quadrajets will do the same thing when the bushing/seal on the linkage gets worn. plus there is about a 1/8 inch of play side to side and up & down.
    Hoping I am wrong about this, and the play is normal for this carb.
    Gotta second question,
    Is It possible to stick the secondaries open?
    I flipped the throttle linkage hard a couple of times and the loading up and eye watering richness went away.
    Thanks for the info fellas.

7. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

Wow, this is classic.
    Found another problem,
    They made the carburetor base gasket out of a beer box /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I hope it was Coors Lite! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif(Not proud of it,but I will admit I;ve used similar substitutes--like the fel-pro BOX the gasket came in for a water pump swap on a sunday! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif).
    At least they didnt use a whole tube of blue permatex--someone used it on one of my trucks before I bought it--took me hours to get that stuff out of all the nooks and crannies of the carb. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

9. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

No, it was budwieser.
    They didn't use permetex, but they didn't install the spring and ball bearing for the pump jets either.
    BUT,,,,
    rebuilt the carb, adjusted the floats,and the richness and cloud of raw gas went away, now however, it coughs when you go from idle to wide open, and blows itself out /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Any help?
    I hate carbs. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You made sure the accelerator pump now sqirts every time you open the throttle,it should now that you fixed the ball and spring thing-sounds like your not getting enough fuel from the accelerator pump.It has adjustment holes in the linkage to give more or less travel.Or it may not now be(all) the carbs fault,your timing may be off,or you might have a bad plug or wires too,and the carb may be ok now.
    Check for more vaccuum leaks too--are you using this AFB with an adaptor to your stock gm intake??If so,I'd spray carb cleaner around every gasket and hose fitting with engine running(careful to not spray the distibutor or plug wires!)and that will show any leaks quickly.You might have the vaccuum advance hose on the wrong fitting,some chevies run better with it on manifold(constant)vaccuum rather than ported(only gets vaccuum when throttle is open).I have an afb on one of my trucks,and it likes to "spit back"when its cold for the first few minites till it warms up some,then its fine. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

Got excellent vacuum, no leaks can be found. Your the second person to suggest timing, and I think that youse guys are right.
    I give that try tomorrow.
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif