Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"Carter By GM" What is this??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77blazin, Dec 15, 2004.

1. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

I need some info on this carb, should I rebuild it or should I get a new one?
    It still works but got alot of gunk on top.
    This is on my 77 blazer frame and engine that I'm restoring with a 76 body on top, the engine is all stock 350 and the Carter is a 4 barrel, I wanted to get it overhauled but other guys are telling me to get an elderbrock 750.
    Any suggestions would help.
    Michael

2. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

I WOUL SAY A 750 CARB IS TOO BIG FOR A STOCK 350. PERSONALLY I LIKE HOLLEYS. SOME PEOPLE SAY THE CARTER IS A DECENT CARB WITHOUT THE TROUBLES. IF U WANT TO SAVE MONEY REBUILD IT. IF U DECIDE TO GO NEW,HOLLEY OR EBROCK, GO SMALLER THAN A 750 ENLESS YOU PLAN ON MODIN THE 350. ALSO YOU GOT A LOVE THE "BAAWOOG" THE SECONDARYS GIVE YOU ON THE QJET WHEN YOU MASH IT!

3. rhuarc31

rhuarc31 Registered Member

Well pretty much a carter 4 barrel = edelbrock. That's where edelbrock got their design, purchasing it from carter. Rebuilding one is easy, just run down to your local parts store and buy a kit (around $45) and some carb cleaner. For such a low investment it's worth it to try it rather than spending several hundred on a new carburetor.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So is it actually a Carter, or is it a Q-jet? The way it's written it sounds like a Carter, but I wasn't aware GM built stuff for Carter (nor can I imagine they would)...Carter built Q-jets for GM though.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Carter also supplied their AFB's as stock 4 barrel carbs in the 60's...exact same as the Edelbrock performer carb's sold today.

Rene

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Yup , except the rods don't interchange as one is stepped and other tapered :k5: :k5:

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've seen some Q-Jets that said "Carter" on them,I think they made them when some of GM's plants went on strike in the 70's--I remember seeing Rochester 2 barrel 2GC carbs on mopars in 1970-71 when carter workers went on strike!!--who would have thought a dodge dart would come factory with a GM carb?!!..The more you fool with cars and trucks,the more things you find that will bolt on from other makes--a carter thermoquad carb bolts right onto a Q-jet intake perfect(or vise versa!)--my friend had a 413 motor home with a junk themoquad on it--he cried about a rebuilt carb being 300 bucks,so I told him to get a Q-Jet from the boneyard--it bolted right on,just had to "tweak" the tranny throttle rod thing and it ran golden--even better than the original carter carb!...right now I have a holley "Economaster" on my 307 in the van,that really belongs on a 318 mopar--bolts right on,even the choke coil and throttle lined up perfect--I recently scored another one thats the bigger 2 barrell version (like the 2GC -1-1/2 bore rochester) for 10 bucks brand new in the box at a swap meet!--also have another puny 1-1/4 bore one like my vans--I'm tempted to put it on my 305 for better mileage,but I'm too lazy to do it in the 15 degree cold--dont feel like messing with the detent cables and other crap--might be selling it anyway---..:crazy:

8. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Q-jets were made by Rochester, not Carter. The "new" q-jets that Edlebrock sells are actually built by Weber I believe.

Anyway I'd rebuild what you got for now and save the dough that you would spend on a Edlebrock carb for the gas once you get it on the road.

9. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I've had a few older Quadrajets that had stamped on the side "Manufactured by Carter Caburetor for GMC".

These arent as common as most of the Q-jets thats are Rochesters, but are pretty much the same thing except one says Carter on the side, one says Rochester; regardless both are Quadrajets.

Then, as has been stated, there are the Carter AFBs (Aluminum Four Barrels), which are essentially the same thing as an Edelbrock; both which usually say Weber on the side.

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I've pulled more Edelbrocks off trucks than I can count. I've replaced ALL of them with Q-jets. Edelbrock is a great carb for rodding, but they just don't seem to work very well offroad. Save your $$ and rebuild the carb you have. It'll prolly work better in your truck than a Edelbrock anyway. I actually have an Edelbrock that I pulled of smprider112's rig a few months back. After a couple trips where he/we spent more time under his hood than on the trail we swapped on a Q-jet. Since then, his truck has had ZERO fuel delivery issues. PM him, he'll give you a first hand account.

11. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I have a "Manufactured by Carter for GM" quadrajet on mine (came original on the truck). If it is a quadrajet, 750 CFM is perfect. The downfall to having too big of a carb is that at part throttle and cruise it will perform terribly and get poor mileage. The q-jet has small primaries and huge secondaries, giving it good part throttle and mileage and has vacuum secondaries which keep it from being "too big" for any engine.. Most people on this board agree, if it is on a truck, the quadrajet is probably the best way to go.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you didn't pick up on it already, that's not true.