Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cash stash?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jan 10, 2007.

?

How much cash do you keep tucked away?

1. $100-$300

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. $301-$500

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. $501-$1000

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. Over $1000

13 vote(s)
    37.1%
  5. I wipe with $100 bills (aka, the naked option)

14 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Aight, you guys talk about ammo stocks for when the SHTF, but what about Cash?
    If you're at the point where you're using over 1000 rounds of ammo, you can probably assume society is pretty unlikely to give a hootus about your cash... Even less about your CC's.

But what about events where there's a communication breakdown or mass support system failure, like the blackout of 2003? Currently, a shiznit-load of U.S. communications hop around some fairly old satellites, including plenty of atm/credit card authorizations.

How much cash do you keep under your mattress for those unlikely events?

Anonymous poll, no users need to be knowing "Fumes has $1000 under his couch that he hasn't converted to whiskey yet!"... :rotfl:

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Ah nuts, just realized I didn't put a "none" option...

Please use the naked option as "None". :waytogo:

3. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Gold and silver baby, then when the SHTF i can melt it down for bullets

4. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

When I get out in the career field making money, I will most likely be one hoarding SOB when it comes to SHTF preparedness.......I will probably keep a seperate debit account with a few bucks for a rainy day..... who needs money for water or food when you have an AK(insert your weapon of choice here)....like it was mentioned, if you NEED 1000 rds of ammo, there is some serious **** hitting the said fan, so by that point it will be survival of the fittest...

Remington

5. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Meh, I have a little stash of cash in the safe, 1-2K usually, but if the shizzle truly hits the fan Stickseler is right, paper currency won't be worth a lot.

6. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Ive got a culigan jug full of change for just such an event...

Nah just kiddin, I dont have a debit card and I rarely use my credit card, only for online purchase really. Ive never worried to much about it.

7. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How many guns do you own????? Who carries and when????? How much cash do you have??????????? I'm starting to think the lounge is some sort of web front for a cladenstine Janet Reno come and get you govt type organization. I wish someone would've told me before I ante'd the $25 back in May.

My tinfoil hat is fixin to come out of retirement.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha:

One thing leads to another...

9. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

:haha:

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

you got the right idea. paper money will be worth ****.only the strong will survive in those days. even the Christian stations are telling people to buy gold.i keep at least a G in the safe.:haha: and i don't have a house payment till march.:bow:

11. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Credit only... that's how I roll. :D

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

hel i hardly have anymoney perod, i have none to sit on :dunno:

13. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

in my safe...

14. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

What comunications breakdown . Unless the s really hit the f , and it disrupts every electric device on the planet , we should still be able to battery power radios . And if I can get this code memorized , those of us who can talk code can do it on very little power .

And cash is useless . Food , weapons , services , and supplies..... even "favors" ( its the oldest proffesion ya know :wink1: ) will be bartered .

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I feel nekid unless I have $500 or so for walking around money. As far as a cash stash it is all safely hid in Folgers cans at 11 Wall Street NY City, NY

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I don't mean SHTF situations where cash wouldn't matter much. I agree, he who has what everyone needs/wants has the "cash" equivalent.

If you mean ham/arrl, in SHTF, you'd probably be doing a lot of emergency chatter, citizen Joe will still have very little two-way comm.

I'm probably leaning more toward credit card authentication failures and temporary community isolations, like where ma bell's CO is 90 miles away and they use fiber or copper that gets disrupted. Lots of places don't even know how to take a card without the connection anymore. Why else would you need a cash stockpile anyway? Really only for when you can't access your bank or your credit, Things that are within someone else's control, but generally regulated and bound to you.

Wasn't there an issue where a satellite power board failed a couple years ago that crippled atm's/debit cards in half the country?
    During the 2003 blackout, lots of people were totally screwed and hungry. Lucky people got to restaraunts that were giving away food before it spoiled, but very populated places, cash was king; if you had cash, you ate and stayed hydrated. :waytogo:

But that's a good point about electronics. Cash is helpful in the freak event of an EMP, too. If a nuke were detonated somewhere, supposedly the EMP range is much larger than the fallout range.
    But that would bring a lot more issues with it. Cash would probably take a back seat to having a vehicle that operated (:haha: hmm, maybe I should buy that '76 K10 I looked at monday)...

17. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I thought you had millions in the cans?

18. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have a freezer full of meat , bottles full of water , cans full of propane . And I also have dry food .

I thought we all had to have that stuff anyway just in case . I just stock up when I have some cash , just so I have stuff when I don't have cash .

Anyone who has a credit card/atm card obviously has a closet somewhere they can stash a few bottles of water and some ramen noodles until the hard hats put the cables back up :laugh:

19. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

When the time comes, probably no later than April 15th 2029, (do some research), many people will believe that cash is good. Sorry about their luck. I have a stash of cash for those people. A stash of water, a stash of c-rats(MREs), 1 vehicle that has points, multiple shortwave/cb/ham radios, solar panels, a rack of batteries, general survival gear(including extreme weather gear.) a close by atv store, close by farmers that have gasoline tanks, close by gun store, a general knowledge of farming and raising animals.

And the knowledge taught to me, 30 years ago, by my father, in preparation for the day it happens. I didn't think it was wierd to talk to dad at breakfast, before school, about having to defend the fields, and livestock, and well, and garden. As a kid, I thought everyone was prepared for it. Strange how some stuff sticks with you like that.

20. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Cash or credit cards won't be king neither will gold or silver.

FUEL WILL BE KING, Diesel or Gas, will pay all the dues... Don't stock up on cash stock up on fuel, diesel, gas or propane. You will be able to trade these items for anything, wifes, daughters, food, ammo, water......:D

55 gal drums and a pump to get it out with.:D