Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cast iron or aluminum heads

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, Jun 30, 2003.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I want to put on some aftermarket heads on my truck and a cam, but need to keep it SMOG legal still. I was wondering what is better, Dart Iron Eagles(cast) or something like Edelbrocks(alum.) I was thinking big valves and something like a 180cc runner and 64cc chambers. I want to keep it as cheap as possible, but also get the most out of it. Weight isn't really a factor. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I would check with Edlebrock, to see if the head's will be smog legal first. they will want, Year of vehicle, Type of vehicle, Engine, Cubic inch, type of exhaust system, etc. etc. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Bit of a tradeoff, you'll see opposing sides on the AL vs. FE head debate. Iron holds heat in the chamber better, so you lose some of that efficiency with AL, but you can typically run more compression with AL and the same octane fuel, so you can probably gain back the heat loss difference.

Magazine article not too long ago (car craft?) did a short article on this, and as I recall, the verdict was, after testing both sets of heads, the difference was almost nothing once they figured in other engine/head differences. Probably weight savings is all you'll really see from the AL heads. IMO weight savings is a big deal, but I'm big into economy, and anything helps, especially combined with other weight saving measures.

Check Summits clearance section on their web site. Will take some time to browse all the junk there, but they had some type of AL SBC 23* heads in that section, no valves (and maybe less other things) for real cheap, like $260 or so, and 195CC runners/64CC chambers IIRC.

4. 1972Blazer

1972Blazer 1/2 ton status

I am running the entire Holley Systemax on a 4 bolt 1970 LT1 Block, Forged Crank, Forged Rods and TRW Forged Dome pistons. They are very nice aluminum heads, you can see them on their web site and they give flow numbers and everything for the heads. I built a set of Brodix years ago that after alot of work they only flowed what these flow right out of the box. Jegs performance has the Systemax for $1350.00 I believe and it comes with fully assembled Aluminum Heads, Lunati Cam, Double Roller Timing Chain and a Holley Dominator Intake. I will tell you this, it is a bit much for a truck. It is radical strong and wants to rev to 7,000 rpms any time you punch it. They say 425/425 for HP and TQ and it has every bit of it.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

64cc chambers will give you a big boost in compression. Keep that in mind.

I'd go with aluminum heads and small chambers if the C/R can be kept at 10:1 or below.

Edelbrock's Performer stuff is smog legal. Their Performer RPM stuff is not.

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

The system max will not be smog legal....

7. 1972Blazer

When he changes to any different type or year head in California he is not in compliance with smog regulations. I just went back to look at his year, yes he has to be carefull. No matter what he buys at this point he will not be in compliance so at least try to pass the visual before the sniffer. Sorry to hear but your vehicle will not be smog exempt in California now till it is older then 30, they want to pass older then 40.

8. dyeager535

I thought "all" you had to do in California was make sure the component is 50 state emissions legal?

You can look at http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/headsbchev.html and find more than one head that is "50 state legal". I'm not arguing, because I don't live in CA, but how can Edelbrock claim 50 state legal if they aren't?

9. 1972Blazer

You can modify with 50 state legal (CARB EO Number) That you have to turn in to the smog station but they can make you go see a referee to validate. Then even more problems because they will check everything to include his block, exhaust and etc.

10. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Go with what you can afford!

11. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    but they can make you go see a referee to validate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh yes...only the government screws you for trying to do the right thing. Totally understand. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

In Washington the smog exempt year is now at 1979 I beleive.
    therefore with my old 71, I can burn coal dust in it, if I could only figure out how to inject it. lol /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Actually, a mildly built 454, cam, header's, intake, work's nicely though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. 1972Blazer

When I first moved to California in 1989 the vehicle had to be a 1966 or older to be exempt. I had a numbers matching 1967 Camaro RS Convertible that I restored and it was a bitch getting all the smog perfect. California was the only state with smog in 1967 and it was considered experimental (California Camaros in 1967 were produced in Van Nuyes, Ca). Since then they passed a new law allowing 1973 and older to be smog exempt so my 1972 Blazer would never even pass a visual, it is great. They want to pull the plug on the current law and institute a 40 year plan starting with 1973 so it will be a long time for a 1974 to be smog exempt. They even tried to include all vehicles into it at first?????