Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cast iron.......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, May 29, 2006.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

well im doing some remodeling for the mother in law and her house is about 100 years old, well i am needing to splice into the cast-iron sewer pipe 4" in diameter, well i was trying the sawsall and all i had was 14tpi and 18tpi blades, which it just ripped the teeth off of them, it is in a full unfinished basement about head hieght off the ground, with about 4" of room above it to the floor joists, what can i do to cut this????

sorry if this is the wrong forum, please move it if it is

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

angle grinder would work...sawzall should work fine though. Get good qualtiy blades. lenox 18tpi should work awsome...

3. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

plumbers use a tool that looks like a chain with wheels to do a cotrolled fracture at multiple points ( from what i have heard, i have never done this). your local Home Depot may have something like this in there tool rental area?

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Make sure you have the pipe supported on both sides of the cut!!! That cast iron is heavier than people think. (Don't ask:doah: ).

5. bigbadchev84

our home depot is the only one in the state that does not do tool rental:doah: none of the rental stores have the tool either, i believe they call it a soil pipe cutter, i have tried all sorts of blades, lennox is what we use at work, i have tried 14/18tpi dewalt, lenox,and milwalkee and the demo/rescure blades with no luck, i was hoping there wasnt gonna be "a grinder is the best way" read- crap is gonna fly all over. would a hacksaw be good? anyone know the tpi on them?

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

my bud has one of them.... boy was it handy.... yeah lil wheels on a chain... and it cracked it like cuttin cheese !!!!! cheese and crackers not the other cheese... yall crackers !!!:haha:

7. shockline

shockline Registered Member

I also have one, it works great, if you were closer I could hook you up, but ever decent plumber has one and most places will rent them. I have tried to do it with out one before and I almost set the house on fire.

8. bigbadchev84

anyone else have any experience cutting through cast iron without the special cutter?

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have...

Had a similar dilema at my brothers mobile home he used to have...main cast iron sewer pipe was leaking where it joined galvanized pipe,packed with melted lead,and oakum,probably done in the 50's..!

A retired plumber friend from his place of work showed us how to remove the galvanized pipe easily(in a crawl space with little to no room for tools or pipe wrenches too!:doah: )..he said look for the nearest elbow or other cast fitting,and whack it hard with a ball peen hammer!:eek1: --we did as he said..with 3 good whacks the elbow shattered,and we removed to galvanized pipe going to the trailer..now for the cast iron pipe:doah: ..

His friend had the right tool,a chain wrench you tightend until it cracks the pipe..but it wouldn't fit where it needed to be!..so we ended up drilling a zillion 1/4" holes all the way around the pipe,and scored it with a hacksaw blade--then we took a chisel and the hammer to it!..To our suprise,it broke rather easily,and not too ragged..a few spots we cleaned up by using an adjustible wrench to snap off a few smaller peices to even the "cut" out..we then put a rubber coupling with hose clamps on it..never leaked again,until the trailer was gutted by a backhoe and removed 12 years later...

My brother was glad to see PVC pipe in his "new to him" home!...:rolleyes: