Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Caster/Camber Kits for '84 GMC Jimmy

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Don 79 TA, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Don 79 TA

Don 79 TA Registered Member

Caster/Camber Kits for \'84 GMC Jimmy

I have a '84 Full Size GMC Jimmy where my alignment specs for caster and camber are off.
    I need what is know as an aftermarket adjustment kit, it is a standard lift truck

i would like to know if anyone has heard of/or knows of such a kit for this model

thanks
    Don

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Re: Caster/Camber Kits for \'84 GMC Jimmy

I dont know of any kits. but what I do is that if you can find a good local shop that can give you the amount of correction you need in numbers. Then find a machine shop that can produce you a shim (metal preffered by me) to go behind your spindle where it connects to the knuckle.
    You can however, find alignment shops that will install shims for you but they are plastic (yuk) but they charge you out the wazzoooo to instal them you have to dis-assemble the whole front end down to the axles to install them.

Still hoping the GOV'T will ban the use of loud stereos with RAP music. [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

3. Don 79 TA

ok, thanks for the idea. i have an alignment rack at the shop.

when i put it back on, i'll evaluate your idea, since i am replacing the rotors again, this may be the time

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.

Do a serch on the internet for them there was a web site, I'll try to find it.
    Try Specialty XX something.
    There made of metal but only correct up to maybe 1 1/4 degs.
    I have heard of some using the Ford Dana 44 Upper Ball Joint method ! ?
    Good luck

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

they're called "camber kits" for 4x4s. go to any alignment place they should be able to install it for about 40-60 depending on the area you live in.

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    72 4x4 CST Blazer
    71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>

6. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Moog makes the camber shims for behind the spindle....allthough this sounds like a good idea...think about what happens when you move the spindle into and out...does the caliper mount move also? So since it doesn't you will wear your brake pads at an angle...no thanx. They do make upper ball joint camber sleeves...they come in various degrees and include the matching wedge type washer for under the nut. I got mine from Myers tire supply here in Phx....they sell primarily to the shops and the trucking industry...but ever town has a tire supply/ retreading (semi) shop. If it wasn't so late i'd go dig up the catalog.

AZBLAZER

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet
    If it ain't got arizona pinstriping.....you ain't wheelin the pee outa her!

7. Don 79 TA

Thanks again
    I'll try my parts stores and see what they have.
    I had a one degree offset bar for 79 TA when i had an out of range issue. that solved my problem there.

When i get the chance to put it back on the rack i'll write my specs down (at least i can reset my toe for now) then report back, sometimes (for some makes) the machine when doing the alignments give potential part numbers/names for correction kits, i'll see if this gives any.

thanks again.

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

The caliper mounts to the backing plate and the backing plate mounts to the spindle. So if the spindle moves from the shim install the backing plate will move as well and so will the caliper. So there is no extra wear factor on th break pads to worry about.

Still hoping the GOV'T will ban the use of loud stereos with RAP music. [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

9. Don 79 TA

10. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

You may be aware of this, but a solid front axle should not require a camber change unless something is bent. Castor is changed by a tapered shim between the leaf and the axle pad, again not usually an issue unless the truck is lifted over 4".

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>