Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CASTER ON FRONT AXLE, anyone have pics?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MJB774X, Nov 3, 2002.

1. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

I'm starting to drop the axles in my blazer so I can put the 14bff and my 6" springs. I was thinking about fabin up the front end a little. I want to weld a peice of 3x3" square tubing on the bottom side of the frame and then weld the front spring perches to that, thus dropping the perches down to gain more lift. My question is, if I lift the front side of the spring with out the back will this turn my axle to where I have 0 caster? I have seen this done but I never asked how the truck handled at high speed. anyone know about this or done this? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: CASTER ON FRONT AXLE

<font color="green"> Probably won't affect the caster too much, in fact, most 6" lift springs have degree shims already on the pack to kick the pinion angle up to avoind driveline bind. By putting the 3" drop on the front hanger you may be able to completely eliminate the shim. Another way you could go would be to just put a longer shackle on the rear of the spring also, if you go with a 3" longer shackle you'll get a sold 3" of extra lift out of the whole deal. By only lowering the front mount 3" all you'll get is 1.5" of lift from it. </font color>

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

As you take caster out of the front, 2 things start to happen. 1st, the return to center feel gets weaker. 2nd, the front end is more likely to exhibit death wobble. You might get away with it and you might not. It depends on where the caster is to begin with and how round and balanced your tires are.

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Not sure if it's a good idea, but how about lower the spring perches, but then put the extended shackle kit you can buy at auto zone on the back to extend the back of the spring the same as the front? This might make the front end more unstable, though.