Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Castrol High Mileage Engine Oil

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dhcomp, Nov 14, 2005.

1. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Mar 17, 2001
    Hey guys.

Just wanted to see who has tried this out besides me.

I just changed my oil a few days ago and switched over to this for the hell of it...it wasn't much more expensive than the regular castrol GTX i normally run.
    They say it reconditions seals, helps stop oil burnoff, etc.....
    I didn't really expect to notice any differences, but i was pleasantly surprised.

My truck is a 94 k1500 blazer with the TBI 350, it has 140,000 miles on it.
    At startup, in the last year or so, there has been a very noticable burning oil smell. And under heavy loads or hard acceleration, you can smell burning oil. Wasn't terrible, but noticable.

With this high mileage oil, the oil smell at startup is GONE, and i haven't smelled oil at any other time so far. My oil pressure gauge also doesn't fluctuate as much as it has been.

Anyways, just wanted to see what everyone thought, and put out the word that it might be worht the extra few cents if it really does what it claims.

Sorry for the long post!
  2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Aug 21, 2002
    When I first got my crewcab that was the first oil I put in it. I mainly wanted to try the oil out and also see if the engine consumed excessive oil before I shelled out for synthetic. I was very pleased with it for the time I had it in. I replaced it with Castrol Syntec just because and I love that stuff, I honestly think its worth the money. I've had it in my motor for 6k miles and its still nice and brown, but I am about to change it. Oh yah my truck had 145k on it when I got it.
  3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Oct 31, 2003
    they just put a chemical in the oil so it changes the smell of burning oil to something you don't recognize :p:

helps recondition seals? sounds like a small mixture of brake fluid type material.

only temporary fix for what is to naturally occur,,,everything wears out.

mine has 240k on it, smokes at startup, burns about a quart between oil change intervals. no biggie, old motor. :D
  4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Sep 3, 2002
    yep my teachers all claim its just brake fluid or a chemical like it that makes the gaskets swell up. And like said, if so, just a temp fix/used car guy trick.