Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cat Back System

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Supergas, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

I would like opinions on a Cat Back Exhaust system for a 1990 V10 Blazer. Please post your preference, and reasons for liking which ever brand. I am looking at 1) Flowmaster; 2) Gibson; 3) Borla; or having the local guy make me a cat back system. I want to keep the original configuration and do not want duals. I definately do not want Magnaflow as I put one on my 01 Yukon XL and the resonance in the truck is horrible..

Thanks...

2. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would like to do something with my exhaust also. I've seen the Gibson cat-back but didn't know Borla or Flowmaster made something to fit a K5. Do you have part #s?

3. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

V-10 Blazer??????[​IMG] Not sure what you mean?

I tell you what I did on mine, I had a new high flow cat installed, along witha flowmaster single in dual out, and it dumpes right past the rear axel. I love it but it reverberates under the truck and in the cab. If you don't want it o resonate in the cab dump it out back.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

FYI. In the late 80s GM dropped the K5 letter description in the VIN for the Blazer/Jimmy and changed it to V 10. My 89 Blazer is also a V10. V= comventional 2 door cab utility 4x4. 10= 1/2 ton.
    But I still call it a K5.

As for a cat back system I would just go with a flowmaster system. They make 3 kinds. Force 3= quiet. Force 2 =louder and American Thunder= loudest.
    I dont know much about gibsons
    and Borla if they make one will be very expensive.

5. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

Appreciate your informing the uninformed for me!!!! I have used the Flowmaster on a previous Suburban and it was great. I don't know why I bought this damn Magnaflow that I put on the 2001 Sub, but it is horrible as far as resonance goes.. Sounds good, but really reasonates. I will probably go with the Flowmaster..like you said, it is the most cost effective..

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

> In the late 80s GM dropped the K5 letter description in the VIN for the Blazer/Jimmy and changed it to V 10. My 89 Blazer is also a V10. V= comventional 2 door cab utility 4x4. 10= 1/2 ton. But I still call it a K5.

I believe this was for 1988-1991, the years when the Blazer/Suburban were a different body style than the pickups.

Oh, btw, older Blazers are "K" (4wd) or "C" (2wd) and "10" for half-ton ... so yeah, though it says "K5" it's actually a K-10. Hats off to The General for stupid numbers once again.

Less unclear explanations on my Blazer history page .

-- A

7. RyansRod

RyansRod 1/2 ton status

Went with a flowmaster Cat Back and got it from summit for about 180. I was worried it would be too loud but it's not too bad and sounds really good.

8. NetBlazer

NetBlazer Registered Member

I put the Gibson cat back on my 88 about 4-5 years ago and it has held up fine. It bolted right up to the stock setup and basically follows the same lines, and uses all the stock hangars. Don't know that it helped out with power or mileage that much, and the sound remained basically the same. I was hoping for a little growl out of it, but it didn't happen, it's real quiet with no resonance at all.
    My main reason for doing it was that I tore the stock exhaust off from the muffler back on a rock, so it was time for an upgrade /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I had looked at the Borla systems in Stainless, but that was a bit more $$ than I wanted to spend at the time.
    Hope this helps.
    Sean

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I run the Flowmaster Force 2 cat back on my 89. I also have a Catco converter which I bought it all from Summit Racing. Sounds great and fits great. Install is easy enough to do yourself. Word of caution: NEVER RUN THE EXHAUST OUT THE BACK OF A K5. I had to do that when I did the shackel flip and unless you run topless you can't put the rear window down when driving.

10. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I run the same Flowmaster system as Wayne on my 89, but with the stock cat. My tailpipe wasnt flared to fit over the muffler /forums/images/icons/mad.gif so I had to get a coupler pipe. If I was going to do a shackle flip on this truck (which I'm not), this would be benifitail because my tailpipe exits behind the bracket now and still goes out the side. Overall I'm pleased with the system

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

why is that?..and my blazer doesnt even have a cat converter...its just a Y pipe or whatever...from the manifolds right out to the muffler..with no cat or tailpipe or anything...? is it the law to have a cat on?..ill prbobly be putting in a new exhaust system soon as i can...

Bryan

12. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

The law depends on where you live. When I did mine they were still throughing around emmissions inspection. As of now we don't have it and when I got it inspected I asked when/if they will start emissions. The mechanic told me it won't be for a long time yet so I can take the converter off if I want to. Basically check your local laws first.

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you've been getting away with no cat, then you don't need a cat : )

Yes, it is *federal* law that you must have a cat converter on your truck, so you are technically federally illegal, but apparently no one has of yet (that I've found) personally gotten a ticket , from the EPA or whoever, for a missing converter.

It really does depend on if you get a visual inspection where you live, or if you plan on moving to a place that does..if you get a visual inspection, you will most likely fail, however, with no visual inspection, your potential legal problems are very slight.