Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cat converter or none?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fourbyfourforfun, Jul 30, 2006.

1. fourbyfourforfun

fourbyfourforfun Registered Member

Should I replace the catalitic converter on my 1986 K/5 Blazer with the new version or run without one altogether? Will not having one effect the drivability?

thanks in advance.

Fourbyfourforfun

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

To be nice to the environment and everyone else, I'd run a new one. They don't hurt performance like they used to, and they aren't really that expensive.

Doesn't help anyone to be known that you willingly removed something that is designed to help air quality.

3. fourbyfourforfun

I have to replace it. I'm not just willingly removing it as you say, it is comming apart internaly so i have no chioce in removing it. I will be towing a trailer with it and could use the extra power if not having one realy doesn't effect drivability. More power will give me higher fuel millage right?

Fourbyfourforfun

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

get a good quality honey comb style . thay flow great.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

like he said, they DON'T hurt power nowadays. If anything on a stock engine you want the slight increase in backpressure. I've known people who thought they were doing good with their full length headers and 2.5" dual exhaust on a stock engine. Then they installed cats and GAINED power.

6. dyeager535

Umm, isn't that what you said in your first post? I'm not arguing wording, you asked if you should run without one, which means you'd pull yours "willingly". Everyone else that has posted up is right.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah **** the world I live in, and the fact that I can do if only a small part to make it a better place for $50 and no loss of horsepower...

8. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I don't even preach the "environment gospel" that some folks (most of whom feel more than they think) seem to enjoy belting out, mostly because it makes a lot of folks (like me) ignore everything that follows, so:

Early, pellet-type cats were a bad design, horrendously expensive (usually having to be obtained over the parts counter at the dealer$hip), and clogged up right readily. When they went bad, a lot of people just cut them out if they weren't needed for smog testing, because it could burn up the average guy's 2-week paycheck to replace them.

Current honeycomb-style cats are dramatically cheaper, flow great, and for anything but getting a few more hundredths of a second at the strip, won't cause any noticeable decrease in performance, will get rid of that "smokey" burnt smell that even a perfectly-tuned gasoline engine's exhaust will have without a cat, and some of them are really compact, so they fit in really tight spots. You can get a shorty for about 50 bucks.

In any case, if you live in a state that requires them on your year and model of vehicle, and you want to drive on the street, you have to have them, regardless (or else you can't get plates). Forget the rest of the world for a moment, and just think of yourself. It doesn't rob performance, and it makes the exhaust less noxious to you and the people that ride in your vehicle, so why not run them? You might as well. Just keep that engine in tune, so you don't go egg-man like some blow-dried disco-era reject in a rattle-trap Pinto.

9. fourbyfourforfun

My K/5 is still completly stock after 20years.

it's no FrankenTruck[​IMG] and i honestly want to keep it that way. the back pressure comment makes sense and if I wont get more power or milage then I will go with a new model Cat. Thanks for all the advise.

but for all the comments about the enviorment:doah: come on !!!!! this place is for BLAZERS TRUCKS and SUBURBANS :haha:

My other car is a 1975 Honda cvcc(daily driver) if you don't believe me i will post a pic of me in front of it with todays paper.

fourbyfourforfun

10. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

:screwy: :mad: :screwy: :ignore: :ooo:
    Deleted My Post To Keep A Few Happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. fourbyfourforfun

Metrodps vbmenu_register("postmenu_1628098", true); I found nothing bad in about your posts I wanted to get your advise,opinion and experience. I find censorship to be a real problem when trying to get the truth.

12. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Yep, and you'd think that as boiling mad as some folks seem to get when confronted by any contrary opinion on the subject, they might be members of a moonie cult, or be the sort that might engage in ecoterrorism. No matter if their heart is in the right place, they need to realize that the way to win converts to a cause isn't to blow up in a profane rage.

My emotionally-charged vocabulary can go into drill instructor mode on occasion (in fact, drill instructors fine-tuned my knowledge of profanity), but never online, and never when I'm trying to convince someone on a point. They can always go to the lounge and rant blue over there.

13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

And they don't live in this environment? :D

About the only downside to replacing rather than deleting the cat is the cost. Since your truck came with a cat, and it appears that you want to keep it stock or nearly so, putting a new one on would be the way to go.

14. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

this only two trucks that I have heard before and after cats and I think both trucks sounded better with the cats on, a little quieter and deeper, a more mellow sound

15. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

I thought that the only cats that were supposed to be under your truck were the ones that you run over :haha:

16. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

If you live in state that requires it throw it back on. If not...go get a peice of exhaust tubing and eliminate it, Cheaper and if your running a muffler im sure you will still have enough backpressure.

The one on my old 86 Le Sabre littlerally blew out. they wanted 250 for new, or 150 for a new generic which would require a 70 dollar adapter kit. Or If I droped a 20 dollar bill on the ground and went to the bathroom when I came back there would be some exhaust pipe bend just how I needed it laying in the back seat of my car...:haha:

Guess what I did

Out here in Iowa, I highly doubt a cat does awhole lot to help the environment when there are a high horsepower diesel tractors and semis throwing smoke and burning fuel all year around.

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

diesel smoke isn't as polluting as gasoline. its scary to think those big clouds aren't that bad, but its the truth.

And you can pick up aftermarket Cats only for $50, those guys were just trying to make a bunch of money off of you. Their "adapter kit" was nothing more than maybe a reducer and a length of pipe with a clamp...

18. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

my 78 3/4 ton has NO cat from the factory, and emissions testing does not exist in my area. But yall've got me thinking about putting one on. Carbon monoxide building up while idling on the trail isn't gonna help anybody. The law doesn't require me to have one, but maybe I should still try to get one. :thinking:

19. kwissman

kwissman 1/2 ton status

Go to Hottexhaust.com they sell Magnaflow and Carsound. I think I got my 3" universal for about $50. It is much smaller and lighter than the factory pellet style.

20. dyeager535

Funny enough, it's illegal to add a converter if there wasn't one.

Not saying you can't help to do your part, or for whatever reason, just that technically it's illegal. Weird eh?