Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CAT.CONVERTERS= EVIL but mabey not main prob.UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89K1500Chevy, Jun 20, 2003.

1. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Yeah so on my home from work running good at 50 mph then bam the truck starts hesitating and acting like its going to shut off and then back and forth so i pull off the road and it shuts off as i coast into this business parking lot.. I start smelling sulfer like rotten egg smell out the exhaust so i crank it back up and engine code is showing so i mess with the map sensor vac line and get it where it stays running and get it home with this bad sulfer smell chasing me. I knew the cat was bad its got like 200,000 miles on it and wouldnt let the truck go over 70 mph so now i need to find a exhaust shop to slip some bills too cut it off and weld some pipe up there for now. I already got emissions done so no worries till next year but by then i should have flowtech afterburner headers and true duals with dual hi flow cat.s and dual flowmaster 40's Also i have a ZZ4 intake manifold and a 4 barrel edlebrock carb Will my distributor run the truck with the TBI unhooked???

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: CAT... CONVERTERS ARE EVIL..........

yeah cats are evil. My truck only has 80k on it but I really believe mines clogged. I smell sulfur fairly often and upper speed performance is lack of a better word sad. I really think the truck should have more to it than it does(I know TBI motors aren't that hot but yeah). I just need a simple pipe. My cat is bolt in from factory so all I need is like a 2 foot piece of 3" pipe but no autozone doesn't sell long enough and pep boys doesn't either! I would just buy 2 pieces but my mig is out of argon right now.

3. 89K1500Chevy

yeah i work at pep boys as installer for now so if i need i can get my truck to pass emission's with no cats if needed.... So i what to do is go to exhaust shop and get them to cut you some 3in pipe to fit. But my engine is running like major [naughty word] so im wonderin if it is completely clogged up it was running good cept with the no top end and only 3k rpms in 3rd gear.. Man early TBI piss's me off a lot with its [naughty word] design with only 1 o2 sensor and [naughty word] sensors that go out a lot and its stupid HUGE cat. converter DAMN im mad I hate when my truck is running like [naughty word]...
    <FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="105617101689K1500Chevy">

I LOVE when my truck is running like ...........
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />[naughty word]
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />it runs???
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />good
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="4" />BLING BLING
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

4. 89K1500Chevy

Ok well mabey the cat is not completely clogged i got it running agin but then it goes to a 500 rpm rough idle and smoke outta the pipes so i think its the knock sensor im pretty sure It controls the timing on TBI trucks and its running like its way outta specs so im putting a new one on tomarrow and if it doesnt work ill be taking the SH*****T off for a 4bbl....

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm sure someone will be perfectly happy to take a good TBI setup off your hands /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

EGR can be the cause of headaches in TBI idle I have heard. Mine pulses at idle sometimes. From 600-1000. My dad's 94 used to dip from like 800 down to 100!