Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cat diesel pics

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by gtkustoms, Oct 4, 2002.

1. gtkustoms

gtkustoms 1/2 ton status

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

And I thought my blazer was different, I will take some pics and show you guys.
    It has a Perkins Turbo diesel, it fits but they had to butcher the frame and cross member.
    Be Back soon.
    IceMan

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Perkins in a 1/2-ton?

Dare I ask how much a Perkins weighs /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I'm just curious - since I figured any diesel swap beyond a 6.2/6.5 'required' a Dana 60 front axle.

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I happen to work at the Engine Development center at Cat, and I have talked to a few guys that were on a team that put Cat engines in 1 ton pickups from the big three (dodge, ford, chevy). They used 3116s that were severely derated, especially in the Chevy since Chevy made them bolt a 700r4 behind it if you can believe that. I was told that the weight of the engine and the severe deratement of power made Chevy not want a Cat engine, I dont know about Ford and Dodge, most likely since they already had proven diesels in their trucks (IIRC it was around 94 or 95 they said).

5. gtkustoms

gtkustoms 1/2 ton status

yeah that seems like a dumb move to put a 700r4 behind the 3116..

it was going to require some serious upgrades to the stock 2wd coil suspension.. i was trying to do it that way with using parts for motorhomes.. but the cat would not sit down far enough in the frame... would have looked like i was driving around a pro stock dragster with a big hood scoop.

thats why i went the way i did dropped front axle. i wanted one from a 3500 HD chevy but could only find one from a furd.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I never put it on a scale, but to put it this way:
    I have special springs for the front with 5 leaves, when I air down 22PSI is my minimum up front with 15 in the back and they look like I did the oposite /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    It's working out fine and I have the SM465 behind it which is plenty strong, and I just put the 205 behind it after my chain on the 203 broke.
    The only problem I had was when I added a front locker after 3 trips the caps on the axle U joints started poping out. For now what I did was push them back in but I am going to machine the stubs for full circle clips and put the strogest U joints I can find and see.
    I am a very smooth crawler and I try and make the system survive. so far so good.
    I run 35" so not too extreme, after I fix the U joints and drive it for a while and nothing happens I might go up to 38 or 40".
    IceMan

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

You've peaked my curiosity on the Perkins /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Whats the scoop? Displacement? I've looked long and hard at 5.9L Cummins - how does it compare for size? Power? Where can I find a donor vehicle? How did you adapt to a GM transmission?

8. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I think i would have left it at 300 HP , let 860 LbFt of torque show GM what a piece of crap a 700R4 is! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I did buy it like it is but I did some research on it after the fact.
    It's 354 CI Turbo Diesel. That is 5.9l almost.
    I believe the numbers that I found around 180 HP and 420 ft LB of torque @ 1800 RPM. The only thing is that max RPM now is 2500 but I just learned that some people take it all the way up to 3200RPM but it's a dangerous limit, so I guess I will go to 2800 or 3000.
    I do't want to kill my engine, I love it.
    The truck is falling apart and I didn't get rid of it because of the engine.
    I don't know exactly what vehicles it came from but I know it's industrial trucks, I can find out tonight , I have an australian diesel mechanic that's coming to visit.
    As for the adapter, I have to see one from a GM vehicle to compare.
    My bet would be that they made the adapter from both pieces.
    IceMan

10. DIESELYJ

DIESELYJ Registered Member

My brother has a 4 cylinder turboed perkins in his full size 1988 chevy 1/2 tonne truck. He has put over 300k miles on it and it has performed very well. He gets 30mpg and it will do 80mph all day long with out a problem. He has also towed a trailer with over 5 tons and can still do the speed limit.

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How well does it stop though fully loaded with 1/2 ton brakes?

12. DIESELYJ

That is a different story. He has put in one of the 14 bolt semi-float axles in the rear, so the brakes are better in the rear. He has had no real problems stopping it so far, but he does live in rural Canada and I dont think he has ever had to make an emergency stop with the trailer.
    With the truck empty though it is not a problem. The engine is not that much heavier.

13. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Got a model number on the 4 cyl Perkins? How many liters?

14. DIESELYJ

They call it a Perkins 236. That means it is 236 cubic inches. So that would put it at around a 3.8 or 3.9L engine.

15. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info. I was looking at Detriots web page and found they offered a 4.0L that look like was not to tall to fit under the hood. Maybe someday when money is not an option.

16. DIESELYJ

The problem with the new Detroit engines are they are all electronically controled. My Dad just bought a Detroit 3.8L, but he did not get the computer with it, and it would cost more than he paid for the engine!!!!

17. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

The electronics would only be more hassle than it worth. Especially since I do not even FI.

Need to start diggin through the wreckin yards to find one I guess.

Where did your brother get his? buy new or pulled one out of a salvage. If he salvaged, then what kind of vehicle was it?

18. DIESELYJ

I dont know if they put them in vehicles or not. They might have put them in bread trucks, but he got it from a Massey Fergeson tractor and then added the turbo to it.

19. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

My 6 cylinder perkins TD came out of a farm tractor too.
    I don't think they were available in trucks.

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

"awaiting a 5.9 Cummins diesel"

"I happen to work at the Engine Development center at Cat"

strange...
    can you help me learn Cat nominclature?
    interested in 3026 and 3116 etc
    would like to read your thoughts on Cat swapable engines