Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cat diesel power

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boz42, Sep 30, 2006.

1. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the problem:
    i have a '03 turd super duty diesel i want to replace. i have not been happy w/ the truck.

the solution:
    i want to replace the turd w/ a '90 or '91 4x4 crew cab dually. i want a diesel, but i don't want a 6.2. i was thinking of putting a 3116 or 3126 cat diesel or possible the newer c7 diesel. our family buisness is dirt work so i am very familiar w/ the 3116 engines we have 3 of them in varuois equipment

so the question is do any of yall know someone that has done it? if u do & u got a link or a pic please send it my way.

2. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

that'd be cool and all. a baby Cat in a 1 ton.

but why don't ya just drop a Cummins into the super duty? Theres basically bolt in kits for the 5.9 to S-duty.

3. boz42

never seen a bolt in kit for a cummins in a super duty,, u got a link?

i really don't want to keep my ford, i am not a ford guy. i want to get back into a chevy i miss my 88 i had, tons more room in the cab than a SD. i like the cummins but i love the cat! ( who doesn't right)

4. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

wow sounds like you've been "branded"

Cats aren't the Cat's ass

They got their problems just like every other make.

The cummins s-duty swap is getting very common now. I'll try to find a link. I just sold a bud my '95 cummins (just engine) and he dropped in his F450. hopped it up a little put a nv5600 behind it. It hauls ass. but you can use the FZ thats already there.

5. boz42

i wouldn't say that i am branded. i can see how i came across that way. i do like both engines, & i know all engines have problems. i just made my mind up that i wanted to go w/ the cat + i already have a line on the cat & i can buy it much cheaper than a cummins.

my SD is a 4r100 not a zf.

i miss my 88 chevy & wish i never sold it, i am wanting to get back into something similiar to it, but i still need a tow rig.

6. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

which Cat engine you got a line on? I'd use a 3126E before any 3116.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The Cats are generally a little more torquey than the Cummins, but are expensive to work on compared to the Cummins.

I got real interested in a 3126 a while back, it weighs within 100 lbs or so of an ISB and should work well. The only problem I could see is getting it to rev higher, as most are governed at 2600RPM. That likely could be changed in the ECM.

Don't get dicouraged, a Cat/Allison combo is not that much harder, if any, than doing a Cummins swap.

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status