Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CAT!!!!!!!?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Aug 14, 2001.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Ok I talked to the local muffler guy well theres only two in town he said that it s tottaly against the law to take the cat off and he wouldget a huge fine. Thats funny cause wehn I had him put the glasspacks on last year he asked me if I wanted him to remove it. Damn bastard wont do it know hes chicken oh well though ill do it myself then. Does anyone know of a company that sells pre mandral bent pipes and the mufflers to fit on an 85 gmc jimmy?

1985 GMC JIMMY

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Do you have to pass a visual emisson inspection?? If so, I would recommend against taking the cats off unless you have a friend with a box of inspection stickers in his closet. I took them off last winter and now I'm catching a lot of hell for it! I tried to get a inspection yesterday and failed. The guy doing the inspection said that he could get a $10,000 fine if someone found out that he passed a truck without cats or a shop owner could get the same penalty for taking them off. He also said that there's a $1000 dollar fine to the owner also. I'm not sure if that is true but I don't have $1000 to find out. My main problem is that the system I put on was not made for cats so the mufflers are mounted just after the T-case crossmember and there's no room for cats at all! So now I have to practically replace everything once more

~~'84 K5~~
    Check it out at:

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>www.k5.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

yeah it is a huge fine here even though we don't have emissions anymore. At my shop we won't do it either... try ripping it off and going w/ open pipes.. generally then we will make a note saying it came in w/ no cat and replacing the exhaust and muffler only and that we noted the year requires a cat... then you sign it and the shop is off the hook. Even if you get a ticket it is generally a fix it ticket. My old 88 Trans Am had a Race built BBC in it, slicks, loud as heck... just had muffs and turn downs on it and all I got was a fixit ticket so Tie wired the stock exhaust on it has @ssed and passed LOL. That was with emissions too LOL

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>