Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Catalytic Converter Code

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by btolenti, Dec 28, 2003.

1. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know what a bad (or going bad) catalytic converter would throw for an error code? I am getting an erratic miss and check engine light on my 86 K-5. I already replaced the whole distributor and timed it properly.

Drove around today, and it did it again. Seemed to miss/stall and then the check engine light came on and stayed on... Then I could smell the sulfur smell from the cat. I know that if your truck is running rich it will make the exhaust smell like this. Is there something else I can check, or does a bad cat cause a code 42? Could it be the mixture control sensor or TPS on the carb???

I did a search, but came up with nothing...other than replace the HEI module and pickup, which I already did.

Also, was quoted 225 to replace the cat....does that sound expensive to anyone else but me???

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

sounds expensive to me, only because i would go find best deal on new one and would replace it myself,

but 225 for a shop to do it would be about right.

good luck

3. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

That price is expensive. Buy the cat yourself and if you can't do the work, then have a shop do it. They shouldn't charge more then $50 or $75. You can buy a good flowing Catco Cat for around $55 to $60

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Are all the parts new in the Dist? A code 42 is usually an issue with the distributor module or the magnetic pickup coil.
    Also check all the connections and grounds for the ign system and where everything plugs into the ECM.

5. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

yup, new pickup, module, coil, cap, rotor, wires, etc. etc...

Funny thing is, this didn't start until I did the tuneup and replaced the cap, rotor, plugs and wires...

6. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

Also, what length of cat should I run. I checked summit and saw 50 or so listings!

7. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

could a bad 02 sensor cause this too?

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Code 42 is ign electrical. A bad 02 usually wont cause a miss like you describe.And would throw codes related to 02 A bad cat will make your truck run sluggish and have low power but shouldn't cause an outright miss.
    Beings this started after your tune up I would suspect the new dist. It may have a bad module or pick up. With the questionable quality of parts these days its not impossible for that to happen.. If you have an OHM meeter you can check the pickup coil. Pull the leads to it and put the ohm meeter between them. Readings should be 500-1500 ohms if out of specs the pick up is bad. Its best to check it when the engine is warm.
    Also check the electrical connections. And make sure a vacume line isn't disconnected or broken.

9. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

Well, no luck still. I checked everything Thunder suggested and all was well.

I wonder if my carb is in need of a rebuild. It has the mixture control, dual pump, etc.... Maybe that is the problem.

Funny thing is that I can peg the throttle in park, and the motor seems to run smooth, no misses, etc. It does have a small backfire during idle....more like a intermittent popping noise from the exhaust.

Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated.

THanks.