Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Catalytic Converters $$$

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Corey 78K5, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I had to order one from the dealer yesterday for my 96 1/2 ton. $567.73 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif with a $60 core charge. So I pulled it in the shop today to remove the old one to take in for the core charge and the damn thing had 4 friggin O2 sensors on it WTF 4.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

You paid how much for ONE cat? are you sure you didnt buy the sub assembly h-pipe? i dont see why there would be 4 o2 sensors on ONE cat, i can see 2 at most per cat, one precat one postcat?

3. Confedneck

you paid how much? for one cat? you sure it wasnt the whole assembly with h-pipe and all?

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yep thats how much it cost. It is a one piece design or sub assembly as you call it. For the 96 and newer cars and trucks with the OBD2 computer you can only buy them from the dealer here (aftermarket is illegal). So if I took it to a muffler shop and had it done they would of had to get it from the dealer and then mark up the price even more. As for the O2 sensors there was one one each side about 10" from the manifolds and then another right after the two pipes joined together right before the cat and one after. Funny thing was I didn't see the last one and couldn't figure out why it would not drop out. So I was like WTF another one, I totally missed it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

HOLY CRAP!!

6. Confedneck

that isnt a bad price for the whole assembly at all...

7. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

who needs cats. . . or mufflers. . . i don't /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

just get to be good friends with an inspectiong place.

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

on vortecs if you dont have cats it will throw all kinds of engine codes....

9. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

there are always ways around those things, i promise. i asked my friend who does computer work at his shop, i thought about losing the one on my dad's explorer

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

To tell You the truth I'm not worried about smog. Even though I live in California not every county requires smog. I just want my engine to run like it's suppose to it is my daily driver.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Great way to look at it. Keep it stock, it will run like it's supposed to. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif