Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Catalytic convertor on a 76 Blazer??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by justhorsinaround, Jan 26, 2004.

1. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Heyo Guys,
    We've just moved to an area that requires emissions /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif so of course now we need to. Did 76's come original with a convertor? If so, what's y'alls best thoughts seein as I have true duals. Thanks in advance.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Allan

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

it depends on GVW, yes cat converters were installed and required by EPA/Gov on light duty vehicles beginning in 75 and EGR in 73 most all models, and fuel canister in 71 on 3/4 ton and heavier and lighter later years.,

to be within laws you must get OEM style converter and must be installed in OEM location in the system and pass visual and/or )2 testing depending on laws requirements where you are testing

3. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

It depends if it was a Federal Truck or California Truck. I have a Federal 1976 GMC Jimmy that has no smog equipment other than PCV & Thermostatic Air Cleaner and did not come equipped with Cats! You can go to your local smog shop and research your Vin number and see what that rig was equipped with, local dealer might have that info as well.
    Bill

4. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

it depends on your state too here in washington you dont have to do emissions on anything older than 25 years so i dont have to on my 75 or 77 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif you might want to look into that info in your state

5. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Just have a couple installed on your duals. I have never had an emissions guy look under a vehcile for proper exhaust componets.

Except for that one time I tried to use a dryer vent duct for a tailpipe.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Heyo Guys,
    We've just moved to an area that requires emissions /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif so of course now we need to. Did 76's come original with a convertor? If so, what's y'alls best thoughts seein as I have true duals. Thanks in advance.
    Allan

[/ QUOTE ] My 1976 K5 Blazer never had one. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree with <font color="orange"> Tweetysuarus </font> ...
    78' is the first year for converters on k5's...
    You're in luck...unless you have a Cali-rig... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I have a 76' from Cali...and it doesn't have converters..
    but...anything could have happened...over the years..

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    it depends on your state too here in washington you dont have to do emissions on anything older than 25 years so i dont have to on my 75 or 77 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif you might want to look into that info in your state

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I thought he said he moved to a place where he needs to smog it and that is why he's asking /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Just yankin yer chain.

Anyway when you move to a different state the visual is ALWAYS a big issue so don't think they will miss anything.
    I would do like Bill suggested go to smog tech and check your VIN and see what is needed then do it.
    He's going to be the judge anyway.

9. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

My '76 was originally bought here in cali by my in-laws in '76 and it had no converter... it is rated at 6200 lbs thus no converter required... check your trucks GVWR rating.. anything rated at 6000 lbs or more did not require a converter back then... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Thanks guys! The truck has been an Arizona truck just not a Phoenix, Arizona truck. As soon as I get the diff all sealed up again I'll go to the emissions guy and ask him what to do next. Thanks again. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Allan

11. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

No...76 had no cats...ran mine through down there every year and passed no probs...the 79 was diff...i removed the smog pump and carried the 79 shop manual with me so i could get out of it...showed them per factory it was a fed model which required no smog pump...can't argue with gm....hehehe.

Before we left phx allmost two years ago i ran the 79 thru with its new TBI conversion with twin cats for the dual exhaust and it passed flying colors an no hassle.

DW

12. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Have had many vehicles here in Phx-metro area. Basically if it came with one you need one. They will just use a mirror and look. My 83 passed fine , only hooked up what was required on my truck and deleted the redundant hoses and vacuum switches. Blew less than half of allowed limits. Does your truck have original sticker on radiator support? That should show hose routing. Another thing is that they are open until 7 our time, show up at ten to closing and they practically rush through the test /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Have had many vehicles here in Phx-metro area. Basically if it came with one you need one. They will just use a mirror and look. My 83 passed fine , only hooked up what was required on my truck and deleted the redundant hoses and vacuum switches. Blew less than half of allowed limits. Does your truck have original sticker on radiator support? That should show hose routing. Another thing is that they are open until 7 our time, show up at ten to closing and they practically rush through the test /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, get them at the end of a shift and they will rush it.
    I will have to try that next time.
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

14. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

If you fail without a cat, you may just want to install them to pass.