Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Catalytic Convertor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TexasT, Apr 10, 2003.

1. TexasT

TexasT Registered Member

Did a '85 Suburban 3/4T 454/auto come from the factory equipped with Catalytic Convertor(s)? One I found to buy doesn't have them and my state has annual inspection so they would have to be added affecting my offering price. Thanks.

Rich

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

i believe it should have came with one from the factory.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

if it has the heavy duty emissions it wont. I believe it says what emissions it has on that white tag, on the crosspiece under the hood that has the hood latch on it (sorry for the bad descript) if it says heavy duty something or other, then it wont have em, but it still might have A.I.R. injection though.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They didn't even make 4wd Suburbans in 1985 with 454s, so what you had is an abortion setup. It started life as a 350 or a Diesel rig and has had the 454 installed.

And by 1985, EVERY vehicle had a cat. Hell, in 1980, every truck had them.

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

i dont see where he says his is 4wd, also, we had a 2wd dually w/ 454 no cats (heavy duty emissions) it was an 86, and this 2wd suburban sittin in the backyard w/ the 454 no cats (heavy duty emissions) and its an 88. Dont mean to come off as an @ss, but we've owned these two vehicles, and two diff of my uncles had them, no cats, from the factory.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'll bet money I can look in the '85/86 parts manual for the C/K/G/P vehicles and find an RPO/parts listing that doesn't include a cat converter. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I won't unless someone REALLY needs to know if stock, you could get a "light duty" truck with no cat that late.

7. TexasT

TexasT Registered Member

Sorry, I didn't mean to start a riot.
    A little background. I found a good looking '88 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif that fit my criteria sort of( TG, 3/4T, 454) to pull a triler I aquirred.
    Then I found what I believe fits better. It is Red in and out. '85 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif 3/4T, TG, 454. It has a rod knock, and the rear window needs replaced. This truck is also $1000 cheaper. I figure this way I know what is inside the engine as I'm going to have to tear into it. Draw back as I saw it was it didn't have cats or rear most seat. Body seems very straight and no rust(Texas truck). I got hold of my brother to see about getting the engine hoist lined up. I think this one is the front runner for purchase. Thnks for the replies.

Rich

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Worst case, whats a cat converter (or two if you can get away with duals) gonna set you back? $50-100? Not much comparatively if you are considering rebuilding an engine.

9. sdtPOS

sdtPOS Registered Member

Where can you find cats that cheap??? Ive seen em for $140 for a stocker and $190 for a hi-flow......I need two of them too....Junkyards cant legally sell them either....I dont think....guess I should have noticed that before I bought this Beast eh.

10. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I am from san antonio good to meet another Texan here. I know that I just went throught my state inspection and found out from the guy that anything after 84 needs cats on it. I am not sure about heavy duty emissions but you might want to ask your local state inspection place what the law is before you buy this thing....Jason /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

11. caryhenry

caryhenry Registered Member

Summit Racing has Catco universals for as low as $40

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    It has a rod knock, and the rear window needs replaced. This truck is also $1000 cheaper.
    ... Draw back as I saw it was it didn't have cats or rear most seat.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'd spend the extra $1,000 to get one that has a good engine, doesn't need a back glass, doesn't need a new seat, and doesn't have a questionable emissions system. You'll spend more than that $1,000 getting the "cheaper" truck to where you want it. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

13. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

The best thing to do w/ Cats is cut em' off. If you live someplace where you have to have them...take em' off and cut the top off, remove all the insides, and weld the top back on. Make sure that you cut the TOP off so that when you put it back on you can't tell it has been butchered when they give it the visual at the emissions place.

14. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Poohbair, he might pass the visual test. But when you take all the catalist out, he might not pass the sniffer. Unless he has a very well running engine. Also pooh, just cause we dont have emmissons here in ellensburg, dosent mean your not "supposed to have them." We charge around $250 a cat installed at my shop. That might sound a bit expensive, but i dont set the prices.

15. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I have dual Catco Hi-flow cats from Summit Racing, they were about $50 bucks each and their about 8 inches long. You must have them to pass inspection, and I wouldn't bother hollowing them out since Austin(I'm guessin' that's where you live) will start doing sniffer tests fairly soon just like DFW, Houston etc. I doubt these cats are very restrictive though since you can see light right through them(ie high flow).

16. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Yeah yeah, I know Brad... But everyone isn't all white trashy like me... My theory to everything is to cut it off!

17. TexasT

TexasT Registered Member

Thank you for all the input. I know this is the 4X4 forum, but it seemed to have much more traffic that might be able to answer my question. Sorry for the confusion.

Rich