Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Caterpillar Diesel

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James90, Sep 18, 2000.

1. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

at www.cat.com I found an in line6 7.2L diesel makeing 300 hp at 2200 rpms and 860 ft lbs it ways 1250 lbs. Is that to big for a blazer and if not what kind of tranny would I need to use? ( like a 10 speed or something) Do you guy thank something like that would work or am I just nuts?

the thing is called a 3126B

what do you guys thank?

[​IMG]Go prepared

I have a Shotgun a Rifle and a 4WD(K5) and Country Boy Can Survive!!!!

2. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Isn't that one of the engines used in tractor trailers? Those things are HUGE! I don't think it would even fit in the bed of a K5. It would be really cool though, you'd be able to pull all your friends out of a bog at the same time.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

3. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you are going for a hybred engine I would try a 5.9 Cummins . Or else wait for GM's new diesel .I like the 6.2 and it would be a better swap .

4. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

the 31 series is pretty small actually, I always thought that the 3208 would be a great engine for a Blazer/pickup. You would need to get stiffer springs to handle the extra weight and if it were me doing the swap I would switch to an Allison Automatic transmission rather than going with a manual 13 speed, allthough with the 13 speed you would have awsome crawl ratios but you'd have to start out in 5th or 6th gear and 13 is just a 1:1 ratio. With the new Allisons the top ratio is .078:1 if I remember right that is a 5 or 6 speed automatic I think.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

A Petersens issue last year, they had that Dodge concpet truck with a CAT with 700HP... I contacted Cat several times and they said they had no plan for a light truck app...

However I know a guy that has a 67 Ford 4x4 with a 4cyl Detroit Turbo in it from a D70 Chevy Box truck. I am not sure what tranny and t-case he is using, but he is running a front D60 and a 14 Bolt rear.
    He claims about 700 lbs/ft torque... I asked him if he ever pulled off with anyone and he said pulling against him would be like taking you truck and hookin up a chain to it, then hook up the other end to a tree! He said it is over the legal weight limit a little for a one ton though!

One guy want to hook up with him, but he had a bad u-joint and didn't want to damage anything.

This is nice truck and it sounds awsome. I could give you his number if you like, they have a truck salvage yard.. Let me know if you want the number..

Also, he was running about 35's on it with a street tread...

I know that he has 3 GM D60's in his yard with 4.10's and they are around '87s.. He wants about $850 ea. for them...

I would like to have the 425hp Cat that my brother has in his KW, but those things weight roughly 3500lbs!! A little too heavy for a K5 and I dont think I could even cut away enough for it to fit under the hood! :)

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

About 80% of the buses in my country are using the Cat 3208 engine. I was thinking of investigating on that swap too, but then these bus guys started placing stickers on the back of their buses that read <font color=blue>CAT3208 210HP</font color=blue>. That's when I forgot the idea. My Blazer came with 165HP @wheels factory. My guess is those 210HP are at the engine and not at the rear end. I'd rather stroke my SBC to a 383 with 300HP+ and lots of torque.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

7. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

That engine is the 3126 Heui engine. They work well in the Kodiak or Top Kicks medium duty trucks, but I think that they are a little heavy.

Donovan

8. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

By the time you get that engine and clutch and tranny in there, it is going to weigh three times what the suspension was designed for. This is major redesign and rebuild time.

9. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

10. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

BBC or Cad 500!!!!! Yeah, baby, yeah!!!!

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

11. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

I forgot to tell you but I think that CAT engine is the biggest piece of SH*t out there. I worked on this engine for 2 years with Cat engineers and we had a lot of problems. It was in wheel loaders like 950f and 938's. They would wear out valve guides in less than 6 months. Blown pistons and bad injections all of the time. So I would say stay away from them. If you want more info on how bad the are let me know. Just my opinion.

Donovan

12. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

man I thot that cat was good what about John deer or Cummins?

[​IMG]Go prepared

13. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

CAT engine are great but this engine they really screwed up building it. I love all of there other engine. They are excellent but the 3116 and 3126. They tried to build it cheaper and I think it is bitting them in the butt. I would still take a CAT engine over a Cummins or Detroit. But that is me.

Donovan

14. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

dos cat make a nouther engine that might fit in a blazer?

[​IMG]Go prepared

15. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

The 3126 Heui was designed to compete in the B 5.9L market...ie in town delivery trucks...FTL FL 70's...IHC S Series...etc. The early model 3126...(1WM) i believe had jumper tubes to the injectors while the current production models run electronic injectors fired my oil rifles in the head.. anyways...since i work on these everday i would rather work on the CAT opposed to the Cummins ISB....there CAPS fuel pumps fail left and right...and they are a pain to work on compared to the 3126....but i will agree that the old Cummins B5.9L is the way to go if you want real deisel power in your pick-up.

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

16. I dont know much about diesel's but as far as the weight in the front goes National Spring will costom make what ever you want.I would like to have the new 6.6 duramax in my blazer,man that would be cool!Well with in reason no 3500 lb
    motors!!LOL
    Good luck

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!