Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Caterpillar questions

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by big_truxx, Oct 24, 2004.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to find some cat engine info. I am looking at doing a 3116 or 3208 swap into my truck in the future and would like to find out what they run for horsepower and torque, both n/a and turbo. also has anyone done a swap of either? I am interested in trans and transfer case options.

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Well the 3208 is anywhere from 180ish ans an industrial/truck engine, and up to 450 in a marine pleasure craft application. 3116's were from 175 hp up to 275 hp and 860 lb ft in a truck application. The 3126 are up to 300 hp and 860 lb ft in truck. 3116 and 3126 are all turboed above 210 hp in a 3208 is turboed.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My 3116 in my Cat Challenger tractor is 235HP with a turbo. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

thanks! anyone know what trans/transfer combo would be easiest with either these two engines? i prefer standards. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Id either use a 540 allison auto or a clark 5 speed. As for a t-case id probably use a divorced NP205.

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif now i am assuming something like the clark 5 speed would be found behind the 3116 or 3208 "normally"? and pardon my ignorance (i am just getting back into my real passion in life (4x4's /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif) and have not yet learned about divorced xfer cases. how do you divorce the 205?

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif now i am assuming something like the clark 5 speed would be found behind the 3116 or 3208 "normally"? and pardon my ignorance (i am just getting back into my real passion in life (4x4's /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif) and have not yet learned about divorced xfer cases. how do you divorce the 205?

[/ QUOTE ]

Throw the ring in it's face or take it to court /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    No seriously some dodge trucks and some ford trucks came with the divorced 205, I have one from a Dodge which is passenger side drop.
    The ford is driver side drop for the front axle that is.
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    The clark 5 speed came on buses and trucks 2.5 ton and 5 ton cab and chassis basicaly. They are big transmissions that can take the abuse and they are close ratio so 5th is 1:1 not overdrive.

8. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

whats the 1st 4 gear ratios on the clark 5-speed? and how is the divorced transfer case different from the regular?

9. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    whats the 1st 4 gear ratios on the clark 5-speed? and how is the divorced transfer case different from the regular?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your standard mated T-case is actually bolted to the back of the transmission. On a divorced, the t-case input and tranmission output both have yokes, and the two are connected via a stub shaft, think of a really short driveshaft.

10. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif cool! now the divorced transfer case makes perfect sense! anyone know of or where i could find the ratios on a clark 5-speed?

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif cool! now the divorced transfer case makes perfect sense! anyone know of or where i could find the ratios on a clark 5-speed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call Bowers transmission at 866 792 8220.
    They claim to be the experts and list Clark transmissions in their website: bowertransmission.com
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif