Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Catfish!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Feb 18, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

FISH STORY FROM WICHITA EAGLE NEWSPAPER

This was a pretty interesting story from The Sunday Wichita Eagle Newspaper a couple of weeks ago. Was in a housing development around 119th st. South and Maple. Anyhow a resident in the area saw a ball bouncing around kind of strange like in the developments pond and when he went to investigate, it was a flathead catfish who had obviously tried to swallow a child's basketball which became stuck in its mouth. The fish was totally exhausted from trying to dive but unable to because the ball would always bring him back up to the surface. The resident tried numerous times to get the ball out but was unsuccessful. He finally had his wife cut the ball in order to deflate the ball and release the catfish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Origins: Yes, these photographs are real, taken at Sandalwood Lake in Kansas on 28 May 2004. An account of the circumstances under which the pictures were taken appeared in the Wichita Eagle on 30 May 2004:

From Panama to the Great Lakes, Bill Driver's done pretty well fishing over the past 50 years.

Now he's wondering if he'd have done even better with a different kind of bait. "I never considered using a kid's basketball," Driver said. "Maybe I should have."

Friday afternoon, Driver was standing on the deck of his house near 119th Street West and Central when he saw an eight-inch ball floating in Sandalwood Lake.

Noticing the ball wasn't floating normally, Driver wandered to his dock for a closer look. A catfish had its mouth stuck around the ball.

Driver hollered for his wife, Pam, to get a camera while he unrigged the sail from his nine-foot boat, wading into the lake and corralling the fish toward shore with the sail as a seine.

Several times, the flathead tried to dive, only to have the ball buoy it back to the surface.

The fish appeared to be exhausted and offered little resistance once in the shallows.

Things may have gone easier had the fish the strength to struggle.

"I just couldn't pull that ball out of its mouth," Driver said. "I was lifting up out of the water as best I could by the ball. I finally sent my wife to the house to get a knife."

Driver carefully deflated the ball. Estimated at 50 pounds, the fish swam toward the deepest part of the lake.

Driver has no plans of targeting the fish in the near future.

Instead, he'll probably continue to fish for the bass and panfish that swim within the one-acre lake.

"I guess I might try fishing with a golf ball," Driver said. "Smaller fish, smaller bait."

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

That's one of those stories you wouldn't believe without seeing.

When we'd visit my Grandpa out in Evansville, IN he used to tell us about huge cats by the Kentucky dam. He said there were some as big as men and divers used to check the dam carrying shock sticks.

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

some cats get soo big , some guys fish for them by running there hands nearhollows anduer water untill the cats grab there hands!!11

crazzyness.

there are some in rusia that are too too too huge to belive but they are like 15 feet long!!11

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

great story and pics, it looks warm and sunny. i'm feinding for that kind of weather.:cool1:

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

That reminds me of the story of the boy in Minesota whose red R/C boat was attacked by a pike , was in one of my NAFC magazines last yer or so . I can look for it . Do you imagine how many fisheman started throwing red lures :D

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

lol my buddy caught a 22 lb pike once my useing an elastic to hold a hook on a red squiral and chucked it out in the lake. lol poor squiral, good eating!!!

7. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

There was an 80 lb. blue caught in the Ohio River near Madison IN back around 1998 or so. There was a pic and article in the paper (Courier Journal). This bugger was about 5 feet long! :yikes:

8. dontoe

Santee Cooper in S.C. is where alot of people around here go. Nothing to brag about if ya catch a 50 lb one. There was a new record caught about 3 or 4 years ago, it was 115 lbs! I'm supposed to go this spring if I can find time, although I fish alot on Lake Hickory. It's only 2 miles away.

9. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

115 lbs!! That's a big-ol-fish!!

Had catfish for dinner the other night - along with oysters, shrimp and grouper. Mmmmmmm Good! :saweet:

10. dontoe

Mmmmmmmm! Love 'em beer batter dipped!:grin:

Here is one ........... http://www.santeecoopercats.net/index1.html

11. dontoe

Well I remembered it a bit bigger.................it was actully 109lbs.

Blue Catfish
    Weight: 109 lbs.-4 oz.
    Angler: George A. Lijewski of Summerville, SC
    Caught at: Tailrace Canal
    Bait/Lure:
    Method:
    Record Date:
    This catch is ALSO a South Carolina
    Line Class Record for 20 lb. test.

Here is a link to all state records:
    http://www.santeecoopercats.net/records-sc.html

12. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

OH YEAH !!!:waytogo::thumb:

13. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I felt compelled to forward via email to my friends!

Nice story:)

14. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

as a freshwater fishing guy (funny, considering i live 3 blocks from the ocean and fix sportfishs daily :crazy: ), i've always been intrigued by the giant catfish i see in other areas of the country...

reminds me of a fishing show i watched where they catch these huge peacock bass in S America... was amazed the first time i saw how they strike the lures...

[​IMG]

15. dontoe

How about ya'll Florida boys? Ain't they stocked there now?