Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cats and no mufflers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blue85, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

How would this sound?: dual exhaust with dual cats close to the headers and no mufflers. Tailpipes would turn and exit behind the rear wheels. 2.5" pipe. Could the cats give sound reduction similar to a small muffler? The extra pipe should also help to quiet it down.

Has anybody here tried this?

2. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

I was running just a dynomax super cat for about 1 week. It RUMBLES like mad.

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Im running a magnaflow high flow cat on mine with no mufflers. Its quiet at idle but gets pretty loud when you stomp on it. I like to be heard so I like it. I think it sounds good. It just depends on whether or not you like to hear your engine when your driving. I do, so I like it.
    -Harrison

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Friend has this on an '88 3/4 ton. It's not dual, single in/single out cat, but it sounds good. Kind of throaty under acceleration, but not obnoxious.

5. Blue85

Thinking about it more, all I have to do is make sure there a long enough straight section of pipe to splice in some mufflers later if it is too loud.

Thanks for the replies

6. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

heres a better idea.

go to http://www.jcwhitney.com

they have an exhaust pipe switch.

you hook it up to your exhaust, and there will be another outlet where you can run a system without a muffler.

And it works by you pressing a button. You have it "on" while riding in the suburbs and when you hit the highway, press the button, and it redirects the exhaust to the non muffler end.

7. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I ran my 96 Tahoe with true dual exhast...............no mufflers, just dual cats. I actually liked the way it sounded.

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

my truck had 1 cat and no muffler when i bought it (stock exhaust). it was actually quite at idle, and it was still quiter than my truck is now on the road.

the only problem i see with this is the legality at the mounds or silver lake where you need some thing that will catch any sparks, like a reverse flow muffler. not sure if they would consider the cat enough.

9. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I had a friend with a SS 350 pickup. No mufflers, just twin cats. It had a nice deep tone to it, alot like turbo mufflers with big pipes. I believe that the exhaust was all OE, from the looks of it.

10. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i tried removing the muffler on my truck before. just a single 3" cat after the headers, no tailpipe. didnt sound very good to me.wasnt too loud, just sounded kinda cheap, like i had a hole in the muffler. probly would be better with tailpipe tho.

11. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i'd just get some flowmasters or something. what's up man??? i just finnished putting pics of your truck in the photo album today.your's and BIG83CHEVY4X4's. :laugh: my junk is running pretty good now.want to go to the mounds again?

12. Blue85

Unless they are thick stainless, I consider all exhaust parts to be "wear items". I'm just thinking that if the cats and pipes are already going to quiet it down, why spend the extra money on two mufflers at all?

My ride is pretty loud now and I don't mind it. Everybody tries to race me though. If it's too loud, I will just swap in a 4 cylinder....not! Of course, everybody has a different definition of "loud".

Yeah, I am done with school soon and will be ready to go wheelin'. The truck runs fine, but it sits home on the weekends while I study :frown1: We need to plan a trip to Silver Lake for all the Michigan guys.

I really want an icon that is a smiley in a K5 with flags on the front

13. big83chevy4x4

a few of my buddies and I are going to silverlake saturday. :deal: we are leaving here about 7am or so. ride up with us or meet us there. we will probably be there till 5pm or so.

14. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

silver lake sounds great. i have lots of vacation time this year.i can't remember can we camp there??? i know TJ will show up. :grin: i met SUPREME70 last sundy, his truck should be done soon.him and i can hopefully come together. and DARKSHADOW. there is another member here in the heights,maybe he can also. i forgot his name :blush:

15. big83chevy4x4

can we camp ther he asks :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
    there is only about... oh... 20 camp grounds within 10 miles of the dunes.