Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cats on a 78?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by exrider, Jul 13, 2004.

1. exrider

exrider Registered Member

Hey guys I went to a muffler shop today to get a quote on an exhast system and the dude told me that I needs cats on my system. Now when I bought it, it didn't have any, it went through emissions with out any. I am in AZ you think this guy was trying to b/s me for more money?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Is it possible that the guy doesn't know not all years of all vehicles had them ???

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    when I bought it, it didn't have any, it went through emissions with out any.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I wouldnt add cats......get an estimate from other exhaust shop to see what they say. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You say "cats" as in multiple, so if he truly did say two cats, he is lying, because that isn't legal.

If he was concerned about legality instead of money, he wouldn't say dual cats.

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You say "cats" as in multiple, so if he truly did say two cats, he is lying, because that isn't legal.

If he was concerned about legality instead of money, he wouldn't say dual cats.

[/ QUOTE ]

ding ding ding... that's right. The law states that you can't add or remove catalytic converters from a vehicle originally equipped with one (or two or three etc.) This guy just wants your money /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

What motor came in your k-5 orig. What is on the VIN? If it was a 400 SB than it didn't have cats on it.... At lease mine didn't. And that is what are on the books for that vehical with that motor. Does yours have dual exhaust? Mine came from the factory with Dual Exhaust.....

What side of town are you on? Who is giving you that info that you need a cat?

7. oilburner

oilburner Registered Member

Cats were not required on light trucks until 1979. I have had both a '78 and a '79 - the earlier one was original and had no heat shield up front, while the '79 I still have STILL has that shield (I just never bothered removing it). Cars went emissions in '73, Trucks in '79.
    OILBURNER /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

8. sjvcon

sjvcon Registered Member

If you are in AZ, go to Bud's on Country Club in Mesa. They are just North of Broadway next to Loper's. It's been a long time since I used them, but they did a great job on a 3" exhaust for me on a tricked out F-250 4x4 (back when I was a Ford guy). I'm not saying they are the best, since I haven't used them in a while, but they were honest with me and reasonable. They should be able to tell you exactly what you need ... and CATS (plural or even singular in your case) ain't it.

9. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've got a '78 California emissions vehicle. I got the same answer from 3 different shops using two different reference books: '78 doesn't need cats. *shrugs*

10. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

A freind of mine has a 77 with a cat.... Was his uncle's new..... Always been that way

11. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

Go to another shot. I got stuck buying 2 but i live in texas. If u got thru emissions before then this guy is full of sh*t.

12. exrider

exrider Registered Member

My 400 is original and has original dual exhaust. Everyone gave me the answer I was looking to be correct, I will be doing some more shopping around I guess. And I am on the west side of town, Peoria.

Thanks for the help

13. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Call around to let them know what is up so they dont give you the run around. If you tell them what it came with and what you want then all they can do is give you what you want. If you were on the east side I could give you the name of the company that did mine.... or if you decide you dont mind taking yours to Mesa.... Apache Muffler on Apache does great work.....

14. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I dont know about in AZ but here in CA 3/4 ton and up dont have cats til 81 i belive. The best way is to look at the underhood emissions label, it will say.