Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Caught my first and second trout ever.

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by tRustyK5, May 30, 2004.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My good friend Stan (BigDummy89K5 on here) took me out fishing yesterday. We were supposed to fish most of today as well but the weather was just way too nasty.

Anyways, we got to Jones lake about 7:30 pm and unloaded the 12' aluminum boat and got all our junk ready to go. It was quite overcast but not yet raining so we figured we'd fish for an hour or so and try to get back just before dark.

The most exciting situation happened within 10 minutes. Once we were past the deadheads and snags Stan opened up the little 9.9...nothing too weird about that but for some reason the boat started to roll like it hooked an edge or something. I can't really describe it any better than that, but we were inches and seconds from being wrong way up in a very cold lake. Very weird...and plenty scary at the time.

After our heart-rates came back down out of the high triple digits we made our way to the other end of the lake and started trolling. Within 15 minutes I felt a 'tap,tap,tap' on my line and gave it a tug...and reeled in a whopper LOL. Seriously, it was just a baby and only about 8-9" long Rainbow. Cute little guy...

Half an hour later I got a slightly bigger version, and for a little guy he put up an entertaining fight.

I was really hoping to get out there and see if I could hook one a bit bigger, but torrential rain just killed that idea.

We were home by 10 this morning...tired and wet.

Rene

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How long was the 2nd one? Did you release them or keep them? What's the legal length to keep? Sounds fun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

congrats /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif im getting a new boat soon you should come down for the weekend and do some fishing with me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif but we would be fishing for these
    [​IMG]
    and check out this little video clip http://home.att.net/~bitemeguides/videos/Fish.avi

4. tRustyK5

From what i read for Jones lake there isn't a minimum length for a keeper, just a limit on how many over 16"...

The second one was 10-11"...another baby. Pretty fun anyways.

The only other fishing I've done is for Salmon off a boat near the Sunshine coast. Got skunked and it got boring pretty quick. The only thing biting was mud sharks (AKA Dogfish) and they don't fight, aren't good eating, and if they're around the Salmon aren't. We got so ticked off we started trying to bring the biggest ones we could up to the boat...

Anyways, that was very boring compared to yesterday.

Rene

5. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    The second one was 10-11"...another baby. Pretty fun anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]
    hey if your catching fish its always fun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. tRustyK5

The crappy part was that we only got an hour and a half of fishing in...the rest of the time we sat in my truck watching the rain and BS'ing. My tailgate wouldn't close properly becase the tailpan is bent to hell from Moab, so I couldn't close the rear window either.

It was a little chilly and wet in there overnight. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

7. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    but for some reason the boat started to roll like it hooked an edge or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could have been the BIG ONE that got away nudging your boat? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

8. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    The crappy part was that we only got an hour and a half of fishing in...the rest of the time we sat in my truck watching the rain and BS'ing. My tailgate wouldn't close properly because the tailpan is bent to hell from Moab, so I couldn't close the rear window either.

It was a little chilly and wet in there overnight. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]
    even though it was wet and nasty and you only got 2 fish you still have those memories and thats what make it cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I've caught a few western trout, brought them home and used them as bait for real trout down here in the Laguna /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. BigDummy89K5

BigDummy89K5 Registered Member Author

Sorry for almost killing you my friend /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifWe have to do it again somtime.[soon]Fishing when it's raining not's so bad,but when you're not prepared, it sucks!

11. tRustyK5

Somehow, everytime we plan a day to either wheel or fish we end up 'almost dying'.../forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

12. tRustyK5

A bit of an update regarding the boat. My buddy co-owns the boat with another friend of his. This guys son took the boat out to a fishing derby and promptly capsized it.../forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

My theory is that there is just too much motor for the boat, or the angle of the 'leg' is very wrong or something along those lines. The boat hooked hard on Brad as well, except it went all the way over and they lost all their gear, rods, tackle boxes etc etc. Fortunately the boat is foam filled and will float upside down and they were able to hang on until help arrived. Also fortunate is that the motor stayed attached to the transom...hopefuly it didn't ingest any water. The motor is brand new.

Anyways, as far as I know everyone was OK.

Rene

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Wow that would have been scary! How much money did they lose with all the gear that sunk? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Hopefully the motor is okay /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. tRustyK5

Couple hundred bucks worth of gear...not sure if the motor survived or not yet. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Most important was that they were all OK and nobody drowned.

Rene

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

When they flipped did any get a bash or anything? I know you said no-one got hurt, but any bruises, or did they just fly? That sucks about the gear loss. Hopefully the engine will survive /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

17. tRustyK5

They got wet...

Worst loss was a $500 digital camera /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif The motor survived.

Rene

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thats good to hear about the motor. Ouch that sucks about the camera /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif