Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Caught myself on fire today!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grim-Reaper, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hahaha still trying to figure out how I managed this LOL. I have been working on my little home away from home redneck camper/enclosed trailer. As some of you recall I tore it up last fall and about flipped my truck at 70mph. Bent the frame of the trailer so the door on it didn't fit.
    Well my repair was to build a new frame out of 2x3 box and notch the angle Iron frame of the trailer and weld in this new frame. New frame pulled the angle Iron frame back into shape. Also added a 2ft extension bin on the front for a cargo box, Battery to power the lights, fan, gas and water cans. This extended the hitch to correct a ballance problem with the trailer that helped cause my little mishap. Needed some more distence from the truck to the trailer wheels. Little trailer was a real pain to back up.
    So I have been welding all afternoon and really enjoying the first big project with my new Hobart Handler 175. Just love this welder. It kicks butt and has really made this project a lot easier to do than with a stick welder I was using. Well I got a welding booger down into my shoe on the top of my foot. It happens, I'm shaking my foot trying to get it out. Burning the crap out of me. Still have the helmet down and welding shaking my leg like a cat with wet feet .
    I realize my ankle is feeling hot. Can't see nothing with the helmet . Put down the torch flip up the helmet and my freaking sock is onfire LOL. I'm jammed in between this upside down trailer and my butt is up against my Pontiac. I'm trying to shake it out dancing around trying to reach my ankle without falling on the trailer, Hair is buring off my leg hahahaha. Finaly get my balance so I can swat it out with the welding glove . Bet the neighbors across the street were figuring I finaly lost it LOL
    Other than a good burn from the booger I'm fine. THe fire never really burned me. Little less hair on the leg though LOL.
    Still cant figure out why the sock caught on fire. Never had that happen before and where the sock was burning was not where the booger was. My foot was not anywhere close to the spot I was welding. It was a good foot and a half away. Only thing I can figure is I got some brake cleaner on my sock somehow. I had sprayed some on a paper towel to get the oil film off the steel where I was going to shoot some paint. That was a good 30 minutes before this happend. Plenty of ventilation and had I thought any of hat was still lingering around I sure whouldn't have had the welder going. .
    Guess I need to keep the extingusher a little closer. it was about 8 ft away hanging on the wall. Guess I should start setting it next to me when I'm welding. Where can I get some Nomex socks? LOL
    Thought you all would get a little laugh out of my little adventure hahaha. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

damn that sucks im glad your ok and having fun with your project /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

LMAO! Thanks for the story! And here I was whining cause I burned my hand a bit welding tonight. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Geez Eric, can't leave ya alone for a minute! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

So I guess we need to have somebody start trailing you with a video camera... /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Glad to hear its not too bad. Sound like you need to go to the back of your Summit catalog in the Safty/Race section to do your next round of close shopping. Can't wait to see the rebuild trailer.

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Glad your OK Grimmy. Sounds like you find it funny more than anything. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Were you wearing shorts while welding? I have had welding pops go through the tongue of my shoes before but have burned my feet more times when wearing shorts than anything else. I always try to wear long pants or jeans that cover the top of my boots/ shoes when welding now. Its really best to cover as much of you as you can because of the UV rays form electric welding. Trust me, they will bake you BAD! Weve all seen the redness from welding before I am sure, But I burned, blistered and peeled from it! That was back in 97 and my legs are still discolored/ splotchy from it. I was buned so badly I couldnt walk for almost a week the muscles in my legs hurt so bad. Just something for everyone to keep in mind. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    But I burned, blistered and peeled from it!

[/ QUOTE ]It can really give you something like a sunburn??? For real? Wow... didn't know that! Learn something out here everyday!

Eric, at least you were having a good time when you lit yourself on fire! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

-Dan

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It can really give you something like a sunburn??? For real? Wow... didn't know that! Learn something out here everyday!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yup...it'll sunburn you worse than any sunburn you've ever had and it'll do it in minutes, not hours. Very intense UV!!!/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Rene

10. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i burned my arms pretty bad one time just helping someone else weld, he was just learning and i was watching him and giving him tips on making his technique a little better,
    i wasnt thinking and got it pretty bad from just standing beside it...

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Caught myself on fire today!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Dumbass! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

12. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    So that is why it is so smoky today!!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

BigJBear. What's your schedual like this week? I should have this mostly wrapped up tomorrow. Figure a good madian voyage would be to your place to drop the axle.
    You think I might get you to fire up the tire changer and pop some tires off the rims so I can get rid of them?

14. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Good Quality Entertainment. You told the story like I was sitting there watching! Good one Grim, glad youre ok. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

15. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Once you have caught yourself on fire by welding, you can officially consider yourself a welder /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif.

John

16. talison79

talison79 1/2 ton status

Kick A$$ pic. SkulzBonz, That was my pumkin from last Halloween.

17. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I'll be around in the PM all week. We can do all the tires you want as long as you don't leave them here. My junk yard is coming along well enough, I realy need to go to the dump but since they raised the prices I tend to wait longer &amp; longer. Just give me a days notice so I can move things around to get at it. If you need to we can do them first thing in the AM (8 or 9) but after 4 is better.

18. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Good to know I am never alone!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

19. Grim,
    I believe it may be time to have you committed !! Good use of words, "shaking my leg like a cat with wet feet" !! Thank God you didn't hurt yourself worse.