Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cause of loose bolts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by spincast375, Jul 3, 2005.

1. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

She hasn't run for three months. She leaks. Does it make sense that valve cover, oil pan, transmission pan and differential bolts can loosen on their own?

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

cause ya turn wrenchs like a girly-man? :p: :ignore: ;)

no seriously, maybe they where loose when ya stopped driving it? heating and cooling can affect fasteners too as you know... thus rechecking headbolts, exhaust, etc..

maybe throw some locktite on em....

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Could be just soaking into and past gaskets . When ya drive it often it doesn.t have the chance to . Same thing with my Chevelle , it had plenty of tranny fluid when stepdad garaged it , and a none when I backed it out ,toolk 3 quarts to drive home .

4. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I have done all my own work on my K5, but I think the transmission pan and valve covers are wanted. I swear someone is trying to steal them. Mine are always loose and always leaking. I tighten them often but it seems I could do it every week. If anyone knows the guy trying to steal my pan and covers let him know I got a few sets and he can have them if he would leave mine alone. :D

5. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Locking fasteners

I'd invest in some decent gaskets, and look into some locking fasteners. There's a company called Stage 8 that makes them for headers, valve covers, tranny pans, all the stuff you're having problems with. They not necessarily cheap, so you may want to try some red loctite first. Just be sure the bolts and their holes are relatively clean first.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Very small chance, but are all of the fasteners stock?

My old 10 bolt used to leak after a couple of weeks, bolts were always coming loose. Could never figure out why, even replaced the diff cover, only thing I could think of.

Turns out, the previous owner had decided to change all the bolts in the rear to ones that were maybe 1/4" shorter. Swapped stock ones back in, never loosened up again. Maybe that's why he was selling it. :)

7. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input. You guys came through as usual!