Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CAUTION, BUDGETING, OR BROKEN PARTS....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90STYLE, Apr 10, 2001.

1. 90STYLE

90STYLE Registered Member

JUST A WARNING TO THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE JUST STARTING TO BUILD YOUR RIGS FOR TRAIL USE. I HAVE HAD MY BLAZER FOR ABOUT 4 MONTHS NOW. I LIFTED IT, PUT 35'S ON IT, INSTALLED A NICE SOUND SYSTEM, AND FIXED ALL OF THE STUPID THINGS THAT GO WRONG WITH A 10 YEAR OLD TRUCK. I WILL TELL YOU FIRST HAND.... YOU NEED TO SPEND MONEY ON THE THINGS TO PREVENT BREAKAGE... AND DO THE THINGS PEOPLE TALK ABOUT ON THIS SITE. THIS WEEKEND I WENT OUT WHEELIN, AND HAD A GREAT TIME TILL IT WAS TIME TO HEAD BACK HOME. MY FRONT AXLE U-BOLTS LOOSENED UP AND KILLED THE SPRING PACK BOLT CAUSING A ALMOST TOTAL LOSS OF STEERING. I TORE THE HELL OUT OF MY ALOMST NEW TIRES CAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO TRIM THE FENDERS. AND WORST OF ALL I (THOUGHT) I CRACKED THE FRAME AT THE STEERING BOX CAUSE I PROCRASTINATED ABOUT ORDERING THE ORD STEERING BOX BRACE. TODAY I FIGURED OUT THAT I ACTUALLY BROKE THE STEERING BOX ITSELF. THAT COST ME OVER $200.00.
    PLEASE TAKE THE ADVICE YOU READ HERE...IT WILL SAVE YOU TONS OF TIME, AGGRIVATION, AND MONEY.

2. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

Dude, backoff the caps button. If your gonna play, than your gonna pay.

GOT ROCKS?

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

didnt have to yell...

But I do hear ya...

Only mine was different...

I can go fast.... in style...

But the speeding tickets suck...

[​IMG]See me at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.inhomenetworking.com/78jimmy.htm>http://www.inhomenetworking.com/78jimmy.htm</A>

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

In case you missed this, caps means you are yelling that's all. Since you're new you probably didn't know that..... [​IMG]

Least if you bust something you can get help on how to fix it on here and make it even better....cuz you are gonna break something. We all do....

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    "What if the hokey pokey is what it's all about?"

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Heheehe It's called being too dumb to learn form OTHER peoples mistakes hahaha. I know I'm guilty of it many times. Hopefully you sharing your experiance will save some other poor soul the same grief in the future.
    Uhhh Caps in the cyber world is called SCREAMING. It's used to inject urgency like you would talk loud to be heard. IT IS HOWEVER BAD MANNERS TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS AND VERY HARD TO READ AS YOU CAN SEE. [​IMG] Not trying to be rude too you at all just some friendly advice letting you know how it works in most message forums like the one here.
    Welcome to CK5!
    Did you get any pictures of your wheeling trip. We love sharing pictures here!

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

You should always retighten all your bolts about 5-6 times after you put a lift on so you know they are tight! They will loosen a few times while driving!

Mike - <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>[​IMG]

7. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Yup! Definitely frustrating ... not sure if it's a disease, addiction, or what ... but can't let it go!

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

10 years old I wish mine is a 74 almost as old as I'am . I guess I can just be glad I don't have as many problems...

9. 84K5WITHAJUNK305

84K5WITHAJUNK305 Registered Member

It doesn't matter what you've got, it can be broken, whether it's misuse, abuse, or neglect, it can be broken. Unfortunately, parts break more often on offroad vehicles. I'm going to go as bulletproof as possible, but nothing is unbreakable.

A broken 84 k5 and lots of mud, it sucks to be me

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

That is so true, I can't tell you how many times I opted for "good enough" (usually to save time or money) and regretted it. Usually I wound up regretting it about 20 miles from the nearest black-top. Then, my "good enough" resulted in wasted time and money (for installing and paying for the now broken stuff) plus it often broke more than just the "good enough" part AND ruined what would otherwise have been a great day. Eventually you wind up "doing it right" anyway if you don't just give up on or sell your vehicle.

That is why I'm starting with a K30 this time. It already has most of the heavy stuff and can be easily cured of its few weak points much cheaper and easier than trying to bring a K5 up to 1-ton plus specs. I just could never convince myself to spend the money on Axles for my previous 1/2 ton trucks. Now, when I start getting creative, I can start beefing up from the K30 level instead of the K5 so I am way ahead in both time and money. Only problem is that the K30 is too long and must be cut down to fit a Blazer tub OR a add a custom body. Too bad the Bummer is so expensive.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

HEY MAN, DONT YELL AT ME!!! [​IMG] YOU ARE HURTING MY EYES!!! [​IMG]