Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CB antenna - how to mount one low key?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by TX Mudder, May 28, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I don't want a 10-foot whip standing straight up in the bed of the truck.
    What's a good way of mounting the CB antenna so it's less obvious. Are there one that are completely hidden?
    -- mIKE

2. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

It's unfortunate, but the more "out there" an antenna is, the better it will work. You can buy a splitter that will allow you to use a single antenna for both cb and am/fm radio, but my understanding is that they don't perform as well as a dedicated cb ant. You'll also see ant. that look like cell phone ant, but they are reputed to not work very well.

Most of what I've been able to determine is the best location on a K5 is dead center of the metal roof. I've just mounted mine (4 ft. Firestik) on a mirror mount, but have yet to key it up. I'll try it there for awhile and see how it does. It still sticks up but not as high as if on the roof.

Firestik and Wilson both have a range of antennas to check out.

Let us know how you make out.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

A friend of mine uses the K-40 magnet mount and likes it alot. You can throw in the back till you want to use it, then just slap it up on the roof. I personally do like the big whip antennas. I belive the 102" stainless steel whip out preforms all other mobile antennas, but that's just my opinion.

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I got a bumper mount. I like it,and it works allright.