Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CB antenna mount issues

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by thezentree, Oct 24, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

im not exactly a CB whiz, and while talkin to a friend, he mentioned that the reason im not getting good tranmission or reception is the fact that my antenna is wired through a hole in my bumper with no insulation. the coax comes to the bottom of the bumper, connects to a cheap radio shack mount that basically bolts to the metal of the bumper, and the signal travels through this. i guess the energy is getting grounded out on the bumper? i measured the SWR a while back and it was reading just under 2:1, which i was told is acceptable /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

anyway, i bet a set of plastic washers would solve this (if thats the problem), anyone know where i can get some?

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

The description of your mount doesn't sound right but if your SWR is only 2:1 then I assure you, it is not grounded out. The more likely reason you aren't "getting out" is the location of the antenna. Most or all of your antenna is being blocked by body of the truck.

The higher you get the antenna the better it will work.

3. thezentree

radio shack's website doesnt list the mount ive got, but anyway, its an 102" whip off the back bumper, and yea, i can tell a difference when its straight up, not folded down. even then though, its only transmitting 100-200 ft, and i can only recieve up to about a half mile. this is the second radio ive had thats done this, so i think its a set-up problem.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I like the body mounts on the rear quators. Some people don't want to drill holes in the side of thier trucks, but I put funtion first.

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i was going to do the rear 1/4 panel but now im thinkin ill put it on the spare tire carrier that im gettin from 4x4 iron! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i was going to do the rear 1/4 panel but now im thinkin ill put it on the spare tire carrier that im gettin from 4x4 iron! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Just mount it as high as you can get it. Only thing with it mounted on the rear of the vehicle is that it'll be somewhat dirrectional forward.

7. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

After reading some of these post about antenna mounting makes me feel stupid for having two 4 foot antennas mounted to my aluminum tool box.

8. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Having them mounted to the toolbox isn't a problem. (especially if it grounded with the rest of the truck)

Running duals isn't the greatest idea on our trucks because they aren't far enough apart to work the way they are supposed to.

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

As others have said, if your antenna is grounded the swr will be 3.0+. The mount you describe sounds like it bolts to the bumper and then the antenna bolts to the mount? If so, it is important that the mount has a very good connection to ground. Often the bumper brackets will have rust between them and the frame which makes a poor connection and can be fixed by running a ground strap from the mount to the frame. Be sure you ground it to bare metal(grinder). And if the antenna goes through a mount on the bumper there should be a plastic insulator between it and the mount. If the stud between the antenna and coax is old you will have poor performance. Is it possible to get a pic of your mount? And the point where the antenna connects?

10. RiceDaddy

RiceDaddy Registered Member

I agree with Z3PR, the rear quarter-panel ball mount is the ticket for the CB. Saying that, however, I didn't want to drill the large hole either. I compromised and used a hood channel mount on the driver's side. It's mounted in basically the same location as the factory AM/FM antenna, just on the driver's side. I was initially concerned with antenna height due to how close the mount was to the windshield. I wasn't having any luck with a 3' fiberglass antenna, so I went with a 4' foot and was able to achieve and SWR around 1.3. When I run a 102" SS whip, I'm at 1.1. The hood makes a pretty good ground plane. I also run a heavy duty spring which gives me some added height.

11. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

so i should run a ground to my frame from the antenna? Also if I want to keep the two antenna look... will affect my reception having a unhooked antenna on the other side?

12. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

If your antennas are are an aluminum mount on an aluminum tool box you can just ground the box to the frame. If you already have the dual antennas hooked up I would just keep them that way. If you decide to run just one to the radio and keep the other for looks it won't interfere at all.

13. thezentree

Haha, I switched to a ball mount a few months ago and my SWR is 1.0. Probably should have updated the thread a while ago. Now, all I need is a formula firebird and a big rig full of beer following me. Oh, and a hot chick riding shotgun. :rotfl:

14. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Can I drive the big rig? :)

15. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Dual antennas are only effective if there is atleast 9 ft between them.

16. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

thanks divorced, I had a dual antenna wire and one side fell off on the exhaust so I need a new antenna wire and I was just thinking about buying a single wire and hooking up one antenna.

Would be nice to use the other antenna for my fm radio... but I doubt that works.

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

It'll work...

I have a 4' CB whip hooked to my AM/Fm stereo,it works fine--its not the perfect match for those bands,but I think it gets better reception than the original antenna on my van did---..

Another tip is the "built in the widsheild" antenna works well for a scanner too--better than it does on AM/FM....:crazy: