Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CB antenna placement

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by GUMBY, Jun 20, 2000.

1. GUMBY

GUMBY Registered Member

I have a full size Blazer. From what I've read and been told so far, the best place is on top of the cab either with a permanent mount or a magnetic. Recommended brand is Wilson 1000. I have seen so many bumper mounted whip antennas that I'm wondering is there really a big difference in reception and transmission with a roof antenna over a bumper one?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I am no expert but the higher the mount the better for the best possible reception.
    However I have mine mounted on a plate that is bolted to the body directly under the passenger side tail light.
    A friend of mine had a CB shop and the only thing they really looked for was that it sticks up past the roof.

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

You will get your best performance out of your antenna by placing it in the center of the roof. By doing this your are getting 360 degree's of reception.

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I have mine mounted on the bumper and it works pretty well. I've also seen some trucks with two, one on each side view mirror. That probably only works with the metal mirrors that have som kind of bar cou could drill a hole in to bolt the antenna to but it looks pretty tight. Probably the best place for it is on the roof though.

5. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

In the center of the metal roof. Mounting it on the bumper will make it work better to the side it mounted on, Mounting on the mirrors makes it work best to each side poorer to the front or back. Its a CB most of us use them on the trail to spot with or tell whats a head. Some use them on the road there some use amps and such and make me wonder what they think with.

6. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

I have mine on the middle of the cab, right in front of the top. I ran the wire right down through the seam where the top meets the cob, then put a dab of silicone around it. No leaks, and it works great. Oh yea, it's magnetic.

7. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

i lost my magnetic mounted antenna on the freeway last year. beat the hell outta the sides of the truck, too. i now have one mounted on my driver's side mirror. it came with a bracket to bolt onto the frame. very nice. especially since i use it only occasionally, for trips and such.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

8. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Whats the absolute longest range that cbs can reach!? I am considering buying a good one.

Bigger is Better
    Cameron Burnett
    82 Jimmy

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Probably about 5 miles on flat terrian and with no obstructions. You can go with an Single Side Band CB, they reach up to 70 miles, but for the cost you might as get a ham radio.

http://www.blazer.coloradok5.com is now under construction[​IMG]
    YEEEE HAWWWW[​IMG]

10. bart

bart Registered Member

Get a ham ticket (license) to go with that ham radio, too. It's not that difficult now, and there's a lot of things you can do with it.

About the CB antenna...place it in the center of the roof if you want to squeeze out every bit of performance...

Bob
    KB8PXI

11. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

ok here it go mount it on the roof that way you will get all around coverage if you mount it on the bumper it will make your snegel point one way on a mirror is ok but not as good as the roof and dont use more than one antenna it wont help it will make your snegel point out to the sides if I were you (I would get a wlison 5000 roof mount you haft to drill a hole but not a big one and it wont come off like a magnet mount I have hit all kinds of sh!t with mine and it is still there the diff between the 1000 and 5000 is how menny watts you can put thue it.

Ham is great but most of the people I have met on the trail use CB not Ham

now for range a good CB that has been turned up can do 15, 20 miles on ssb easly twice that and more (most good cb shops will turn it up for you for very little money) if you relly want to get out there get an amp they come in all sizes and cost. form 50 watts to 2500 and up but if get an amp you need to get your cb turned down if you put to much power in to an amp you will burn it up and waste your money but some times not even an amp will help you I have a superstar 3900 with a 250 watt amp and on a good day I can talk to west texas form mid NC but on a bad i cant talk 5 miles you haft to have the atmespher helping you to get out outher wise you are f#*ked. that is why ssb is so good it is easyer to talk skip on ssb if you get your sengel to skip you can talk around the world.

sorry about the long post and the miss spelled words

I hope this helps

[​IMG]Go prepared
    </font color=red>90 k5 soon to be big, bad, and mean

12. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I've got 2 3' "40's" mounted on my side mirrors of my 88K5. I also removed the mirrors, interior door panels & dash pad to do a quality install. I removed the center vent & filled the opening behind the grille with that expandable foam crap. Installed the CB where the grille was, mounted a "loud mouth" external speaker under the dash above where the floor vent is, and a under hood PA. I ran the CB wires along the top of the dash in some more of that expandable foam to isolate it from the metal dash to keep feed back to a minimal. DOwn the sides of the das into the power steering / power lock loom through the door, up the inside of the door panel and drilled a hole through the mounting plate for the external mirrors and out the bottom of the chrome cover plate. Installed a rubber grommet and installed it. Had the CB shop solder on new ends and got some pillar mounts and hooked it up. I get almost 0 feedback with the radio on & can TX with the radio on.

I've been told that with the antenna's in that configuration along with the radio antenna it will have less strength in areas. I don't remember where he said though. It is not a large concern to me. I get over 2 miles in town & I usually only use it on the trail anyway. If I need anything stronger, I've got a Motorola STARTAC. Lets see you damn CB throw farther than that!

Just on a side note. I'm looking into getting 2 Motorola Talk Abouts. I think they would be GREAT for spotters. One guy could be out in front and the other in the drivers seat. Another plus is they are water resistant so in the rain it wouldn't matter & I can use them for my four wheeler. If you get itstuck, you can call for help.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I run a cb everyday in my commuter S10 pickup. I had the entenna mounted to the side rear then moved it to the center cab and my reception and transmition is allot cleaner. on an avaerage I can reach 15-20 miles on a good day and some days in skip land I have talked to dudes in alabama and i'm in california. My cb buddy has a fancy 10meter/11meter radio and he can talk to Austraila, Russia and other parts of the world from his pickup (skipland).
    His home base/tower can rach the world just about anytime!!
    kinda cool
    late

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

14. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Just on the motorola talkabout note, My hubby & I have two of them....we bought them to make deer hunting easier.....and they do....they're great for hunting. If you see a deer you can tell who ever is sitting or walking over in that direction that something is coming their way. My father in law and brother in law think me and my hubby talk too much on them though.....I get kinda bored easily just sitting in the woods, but we've used them in the trucks too. Usually if one of us is riding in a vehicle that doesn't have a cb.....if you do buy any kind of 2-way radio...be sure to get rechargable batteries...you'll be glad you did. We did, but we've also used regular batteries....they don't last a long time.....and the radios get really screwy when the batteries get low.

oh yeah, I've got some kind of Uniden cb with a 4' whip off the passenger side bumper....good enough for the trails

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Hey you guys, I want an antannae for my new Cobra 148GTL. What's something good that isn't 80 bucks like the wilson 1000? Just something to work well. This will be going in my street truck, so mounting is not so much of a problem. thanks.

Btw, glad to see another ham in the crowd.

KC5TXO

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

16. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Fiber glass style I would get eather a FireStick or the Wilson brand! both are 20bucks or less check out http://www.coaxkid.com
    I run the Wilson fiberglass and my buddy swears his FireStick is better........

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

17. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    102" whip, some people call it the ten foot military ant.
    14.99 or less, all Radio Shacks should have them.
    Under the same test conditions nothing is Better.
    Good luck

18. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

laketex 80 man that is a lot around you can get a wilson 1000 for 50 or 60 and a 5000 for 70.

the superstar 3900 that I have is called 10 meter and after I get my new amp I will be abel to talk round the world not to michen change stop lights and bleed over pa systems form miles a way

[​IMG]Go prepared
    </font color=red>90 k5 soon to be big, bad, and mean

19. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Make sure if you get a Pa to put the speaker under the hood but not in front of the radiator. I went thru 2 in front of the radiator and the speaker is a cheap fabric thing and water messes it up the second one took a rock right in the middle. I didn't have to drill any holes either and i just found two that were the right distance apart.

20. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks guys, yeah I've talked 10 meter quite a bit back in high school. We talked to france, germany, etc. It was really cool, but not too many folks have the code license to do it legally. I am a no code plus technician myself, yet I haven't been on ham bands in about 3 years. Think I might do a fiberglass antennae and mount it on my toolbox.

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress