Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CB antenna?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by wheelin247, Apr 13, 2001.

1. wheelin247

wheelin247 1/2 ton status

wich is the best cb antenna i was told just to go down to radio shack and pick one up then i here from other poeple go down t your nearest cb shop and get a firestick what is true and what isnt about antenna are they all basically the same or no >?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Go to a truck stop or CB shop and get a Wilson 1000(fiberglass) I have had a few of them get severely bent on tree and never had any breakage! I have seen cheap imitations break all the time!!!!

Buy Wilson!

Mike - <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>[​IMG]

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I HIGHLY RECOMENNED A 102" STAINLESS STEEL WHIP !!!!!!!

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Would a wilson 1000 be a good choice for a cobra 148? Does the wilson 1000 come in other than mag mount version?

5. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't go with a fiberglass. I'd not mount anyplace but on the roof either. Gives optimum performance that way, etc. Make sure if you do a mount other than that, the loading coil(s) should be at least a little above the roof's surface for optimal performance.

I personally ran a Wilson 1k before it got stolen and after that procured a Wilson 5k. I like both antennas. I don't run anything but my radio's 35W pep output.

Just make sure you get the SWR's set right for the frequencies you're going to use and the wilson 1000 or 5000 will do great for anything from a little uniden 510 or cobra 19 to a RCI 2950DX (don't ask how I know it works with one of those, please)...

Mounts for the Wilson 1k or 5k can be solid mounted or magnet mounted. Not sure if you can stake mount them or not, but that'd be sort of not good.

I've been up to about well let's just say slightly into the triple digits on the speedometer but only that fast once with the wilson magnet mount antenna up there and not once did it ever think about coming loose...

6. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I'd have to agree with sandman. I like the 2000 and 5000 better then the 1000. If you want to spend $70 for a antenna a Astatic 2k is a damn good antenna. If you dont want to spend that kind of money for an antenna and end up getting a fiberglass one then get the fatest one you can find. The fatter they are the thicker the copper which= better transmittion.