Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CB antenna's and radio's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85 Jimmy, Jul 22, 2006.

1. 85 Jimmy

85 Jimmy Sheepdog Premium Member

ok, i'm thinking about getting a cobra 29 for my cb and would lke to see how you guys have mounted ya'lls cb's. also need some idea's on where to mount the antenna. so any pic would help me out, plus i really like looking at all the good looking trucks on here, it kinda gives me my inspiration :bow:

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I mounted my 148GTL to the front of my center consule. It angles perfect to see it and it is within easy reach. Sorry no pics at the moment as i'm at work then heading out for BF06 once i'm off. I can get you a pic on sunday when i get home.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

in the dash...

I had a CB mounted in the center of the dash of my 74 K20 ,where an A/C duct would have been, if it had A/C.--it was easy to reach and see there...sorry,no photos,the truck is now in K20 heaven..R.I.P....one other poster here had a radio in the same spot,maybe he has the picture...:crazy:

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have a PC78Elite mounted in the factory radio location. It is not finished yet I need to fab up a cover plate to clean up the look a little.
    CB.JPG
    As for an antenna I run a 102 stainless whip with a HD spring and ball mount.
    Ant1.JPG
    Ant2.JPG

Ira

CB.JPG

Ant1.JPG

Ant2.JPG

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My junk.................
    [​IMG]
    Cobra 29, roll cage mounted.

[​IMG]
    102" whip, mounted in a vulnerable position! Works great there, but it'll get ripped off one of these days!

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

In dash mounting of my 78E
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Another shot
    [​IMG][​IMG]

EDITED to re-link the pics.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  7. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hey redymix, when you mount the cb in the center like that do you just cut a hole and slide it in or do you find a way to support it behind the dash?

-Avery

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I built a support to hold the CB relative to the top of the ash tray.

9. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

I've got a galaxy 33 in my truck. Mounted between the driver seat & center console. I used a 2X4 on the inside of hte console for support. I'll snap some pics when it stops monsooning on me. I'm about to relocate it and fiberglass a replacement for the cup holders. I'm going to be putting a ratchet shifter in where the CB is now.

My antenna is a wilson 1000 mounted on the roof. That is best place on our trucks for antennas. If you mount to the bumper, your ground plane is all in front and your reception to the rear will suck horribly. Mine has been on the roof for about 7 or 8 years now and never leaked once. Been through hurricanes, tropical storms, whacked by trees, the parking garage at the airport you name it.

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

to mount it, the easiest way possible... take the bracket supplied with the radio (i have done this with a Cobra 25(Uniden PC66) and a Cobra 29 (Uniden PC 76)), and remove the screws from the bottom of the ashtray. the holes in the bracket will line up with the screw holes perfectly, install your radio to the bracket and wire it up. doesnt get any easier than that.

if you've got a 4 speed you may have problems mounting it there, but i'm not positive of that as all of the trucks i have had a radio in were automatics.

11. diesel4me

Readymix's setup is just like mine was...

Yep--Beater is right,thats all I did too--take the ashtray screws out and used nuts and bolts to bolt the CB bracket and the ashtray back in!--its almost like GM designed it that way!--my Radio Shack CB fit perfect in the A/C duct opening without hacking it bigger too..(my truck had no A/C).putting it in was a bit tricky,I pulled the glove box down and out of the way,to get the bolts into the CB that go thru the bracket--the drivers side was a pain,but not too bad..my mike plugged into the side of the CB instead of the front like most of them..that was a real $%^& to plug in!...:doah:

No one ever attempted to steal mine--either I was lucky,or they decided it looked like too much WORK to get it out in one peice!..

I've always used 102" Stainless Steel whips ,or fiberglass ones..had a Firestick 4' long that worked just as good though..base loaded ones comprimise size VS power output and sensitivity...

Nothing I'm driving now has a CB in it!--not YET anyway..I like having a CB and a scanner in my truck when I'm plowing...I had issues with the scanner mounted under the ashtray--it blocked the ashtray,and made my T-case tend to pop out of low range,due to the shifter hitting it,and not allowing full engaugement of the gears..I heated and bent the shifter lever,and all was well again..

I've found adding a 10 ga wire with 2 ring spades to "bridge" the spring on the antenna helps a lot to keep your SWR ratio low..many springs have a ground strap thingy inside that rots out,and all the signal then travels thru the spring coils,and there is usually quite a resistance loss there due to corrosion...by putting that wire under the antenna where it threads in the spring,and to the other side of the spring ensures good connections..a good ground is important too--I had to scrape green crap and rust off my connections about once a month!..:crazy:

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Up high on a shelf -

[​IMG]

The antenna is mounted in the center of the roof and will no doubt be ripped off one day.

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

while we're on the subject of SWRs, how does one set SWRs? i have an SWR meter around here somewhere, but havent done it in years, and i forget how. probably wouldnt be a bad thing to link to this post anyways.

14. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Wow cbbr that interior looks way to nice for a wheelin' rig. Any more pictures?

Oh, by the way it's great to be back!

-Avery

15. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Try a search in the "Communications" forum. Might have additional info for you :laugh:

16. diesel4me

If I remember right...

Been many moons since I did an SWR check on my CB too!--but here's how I do it..

After hooking the meter up with a short length of coax and SO-239 plugs,you key up the mike,with the switch on the meter in the "FWD"(forward) range..then adjust the meter with its knob, till its at the end of the scale...then switch it to the "REF" (reflected) position,and note the reading on the meter--anything more than a 3:1 SWR ratio could damage the output transistors!..an ideal match is 1:1,but is rarely obtainable in my experience..

I'm going to dig out my meter and re-read the instructions,just to be sure I remember right!--IF I can find it,that is!..its been at least 5 years since I used it last!..:doah: