Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cb Buying help

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Swifty, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Swifty

Swifty Registered Member

I was wondering if the Uniden PC68XL is any good.Does 80 bucks sound like a good price? Also, are handheld cb's anygood? Thanks

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Hand held CB's are a joke. You'd be lucky to get a mile or 2 out of one. I recomened http://bigfoot8170.tripod.com for anything CB you may need. He usely deals in Texas Ranger CB's for new ones, but also has alot of used radio's of almost all makes. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Lew can hook you up with extra's, if ya know what I mean. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif ?Check out what Bigfoot has under "New Products". /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I see that you live in Livermore, very close to me. I can tell you where to go for a CB that has good prices and many to choose from. I just took Greg72 out and he bought one. The place is the flying J truck stop in Ripon out near modesto. I am about to go and buy myself one in a week or so.

4. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Yeah the Flying J is pretty good but a little pricey. Try Loves across the street to.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thanks, I will have to check out Loves. I thought that it was only a gas station from looking at the outside. If the flying J is pricey then I can't wait to see what Loves has. I live in Fremont and the flying J is about $50.00 cheaper than anything around here.

6. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

Whatever you happen to do, if you do get it "peaked and tuned" make sure they don't do any stupid stuff like clip modulation limiters or anything. They are there for a reason, and radio will sound like crap and have excessive IMD (bleedover, especially if driving a poor quality (class C) amp with it).

If you want to run an amplifier, consider getting an HF ham rig converted for use on these channels. I'll qualify this by saying it's illegal to do that, but then again it's illegal to run an amplifier anyway. And if you run an amplifier on the CB frequencies I personally want you to do everybody a favor and get a high quality setup. Yeah it costs a good bit more, but it's worth it in the fact that the less bleed and TVI it throws out the less likely you are to get complaints made against you and therefore the less likely you are to get caught... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif But if you do go ham rig make sure and keep it above 26.5xxmhz and below 27.9xxmhz, you'll want to keep away from those borders by a 100khz or so just to make sure you don't bleed over into there... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Can get a chart easily to match up what frequency the rig displays and what cb channel you're on... CH 19 = 27.185 for example...

I can't even turn my radio on near the freeway/main highway in the city I work in, jeez, all the way up around 27.475mhz and higher i'm hearin' bleedover constantly from 27.185mhz There is absolutely no excuse to hear that sort of bleedover from a couple of miles away. That sort of crap is just opening yourself up for getting caught...

Sorry for the bit of a rant /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Bottom line outta all of that, make sure they don't clip the limiter(s) when they peak/tune it...

7. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Yeah I just saw a truck pulled over the other day cause he had a honda generator running behind his cab to power his linear. He was just begging to be caught /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif