Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CB Dual Whips?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by scott leckie, Feb 23, 2003.

1. scott leckie

scott leckie Registered Member

Anybody have pics of dual whips on a blazer. How is it done and what is the best equipement to go with???

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Just run one. It'll preform better then two. You can mount a second one as a dummy (No coax) for looks if ya gotta.

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I got the kit from a truck stop, has two wires 25' that connect to one CB connector. I ran them under the carpet and behind the rear side panels, drilled holes in the taillight lens and the side panels (inside), used rubber grommets, the line use to come out the top corners of the tail lights and looped over to the whips. When I painted the truck I removed the whips and pushed the lines back inside. I'm looking for new tail lights because of this, would you be interested in a set of modified tail light lenses. Sorry I dont have any close ups. The whips where mounted between the emblem on the rear and tail light. I think it looked pretty damn cool, but I never used the CB so the CB got pulled and the lines pushed back in. The brakets and whips are lost, so I dont have those.
    [​IMG] Top right side of Lens here
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pics are from DURING restoration.
    This pic os of the reflective vinyl I put on.
    [​IMG]

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Paul,

I'm no expert on CB's (obviously) but in the small amount of time I've spent in the CB Forum and reading the FAQ, I seem to recall that dual antennas actually help improve signals, especially when the signal plane is wildly asymetrical (from a poor mounting location).

Big rigs tend to have duals on the exterior mirrors, and I have to believe that it's a functional item for them, not a "cosmetic" one..... now those "girlie chrome mudflaps" are a different story!

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Paul,

I'm no expert on CB's (obviously) but in the small amount of time I've spent in the CB Forum and reading the FAQ, I seem to recall that dual antennas actually help improve signals, especially when the signal plane is wildly asymetrical (from a poor mounting location).

Big rigs tend to have duals on the exterior mirrors, and I have to believe that it's a functional item for them, not a "cosmetic" one..... now those "girlie chrome mudflaps" are a different story!

[/ QUOTE ] For dual antennas to work propperly, they need to be atleast 9.5 feet apart. Otherwise they will hurt your preformance. On a big truck you can get them far enough from each other. Keep in mind, that co-phasing will increase your front to back range, but limit your side to side range. Thats fine out on the interstate in a big truck, but sucks for anything else.

6. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    For dual antennas to work propperly, they need to be atleast 9.5 feet apart. Otherwise they will hurt your preformance. On a big truck you can get them far enough from each other. Keep in mind, that co-phasing will increase your front to back range, but limit your side to side range. Thats fine out on the interstate in a big truck, but sucks for anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it needs to be twice as far apart to get the front to back gain that most people think they are getting. On a big rig the reason for duals is actually to give a better omnidirectional pattern. It helps make up for the huge metal trailer most of them have that blocks large amounts of a single antenna's pattern.

7. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

I've got dual whips on my 90 K5, one for my CB, and one for my scanner. I drilled into the hardop about an inch in from behind the fron doors. I think it looks better than mounting them in the back, and I'd rather put a hole into my top than my sheetmetal.