Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CB gurus tell me what i got,please

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by surpip, Sep 5, 2004.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i got theis with my truck is it anny good? its a cobra 148GTL [​IMG] [​IMG] Thanks alot,
    dale

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The 148GTL is a good radio with both upper and lower side band. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I also have one of those radios for sale if anyone is looking for one.

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

what the hell is that thing on the top some kind of amp im shure but is it a good one? i dont know crap about CB's

4. 4X4HIGH

Looks to be a linear amp. I have no idea what is good or bad in that department as i have never had one.

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

right on thanks alot man,
    dale /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i got theis with my truck is it anny good? its a cobra 148GTL [​IMG] [​IMG] Thanks alot,
    dale

[/ QUOTE ]Yeap, you have a linar. Illeagle for use with a CB, but I, as well as many others have used them. Good bad, it's up to your point of view. It will give you a stronger carries.

7. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

The amp is fairly old, and judging from the size of it in the pics it probably uses (2) 2sc1446 transistors and puts out around 130 to 160 watts depending on how your radio is set to drive it. The old 148 are some good radios.

8. ugly_blazer

[ QUOTE ]
    Good bad, it's up to your point of view. It will give you a stronger carrier.

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll make the needle on my meter swing like crazy too I like to talk when I want to, not when they let me.

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

right on thanks alot guys i am really CB dum anny place i can go to read up on mine so i dont make sound stupid when i start to use it? what do i have to do to hook it up? what knd of ant.? thanks for all your help

10. ugly_blazer

To hook it up all that you need is 12V+ and a ground to both the radio and the amp. Use a short coax (about 3 feet) from your cb radio antenna output to the "transmit" or "tx" connector on the amp and then run a coax from the "ant" or "antenna" connector on the amp to your antenna. The type of antenna that you use is up to personal taste, type of vehicle, and mounting location.

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

anny ideas? i got nothin i know 0 about these. Where to get the stuff from? Ive seen antennas at radio hack but im assuming they are no good. I could probally make a antenna wire at work but i need tho know what kind of wire to use? how big it needs to be and stuff like that thanks alot,
    dale

12. ugly_blazer

What vehicle is it for, and is it for mainly street use or will it see some wheelin'? I may be able to recommend what I would use if I knew what vehicle it is for.

My favorite antenna is a 102" steel whip. Some people don't like them on the trail because the antenna catches on trees and whips around and hits people. Someone deserves to be hit by an antenna if they are standing that close to a moving rig IMO. A magenet mount antenna can easily be removed for parking garages or if it is hit on a tree. A bumper mount is the worst location for performance and may burn up the amp (reflected watts, but that's a whole other page). Roof mount will yeild the best performance but will hit overhead stuff like trees and drive-thrus.

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    anny ideas? i got nothin i know 0 about these. Where to get the stuff from? Ive seen antennas at radio hack but im assuming they are no good. I could probally make a antenna wire at work but i need tho know what kind of wire to use? how big it needs to be and stuff like that thanks alot,
    dale

[/ QUOTE ]Try H&Y Electronic's and Copper Electronic's I've used both. As far as a CB antenna, In my honest, nothing beats the 102" Stainless Steel whip. But they are big. My second choice for a mobile CB antenna is the K40. You can get them through Bigfoot radio.

14. ugly_blazer

What about the Predator 10K, mine is 3 feet from the mount to the coil and about a 5 foot whip, overall height of over 8 feet for just the antenna. Like you said though, they are big. This one makes it impossible to go through the White Castle drive thru, so I don't run it often. My 12 pill box is happy with a 102" whip.

[​IMG]

15. ugly_blazer

Here is a good place to read about radios, amps, and antennas. http://www.cbradioforum.com Also, click on the button for "1 stop store", they have a lot for sale. For a normal type of antenna, I really like the Francis. If you have a truckstop near you they usually have Francis antennas (cheaper than 1 stop) and will have the mounts and coax that you need also.

16. 4X4HIGH

Another good antenna is the Wilson trucker 5000 or even the 1000. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. ugly_blazer

They are good also, but a lot more $$$.

18. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

well the CB was free so i dont want to sink a bunch of money into it, im not even shure it works yet /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

19. 4X4HIGH

What do you consider to be a lot of money? I bought my Wilson trucker 5000 for $50.00 from the local truck stop.

The best CB radio is only as good as the antenna at the other end.

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    What do you consider to be a lot of money? I bought my Wilson trucker 5000 for $50.00 from the local truck stop.

The best CB radio is only as good as the antenna at the other end.

[/ QUOTE ] So true. Without a quality antenna, you're just a mud duck.