Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CB help needed

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by BLZN4FN, Mar 23, 2004.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Went wheelin this weekend everyone in the club has a CB.
    The problem is I can only hear half the people half the time
    The CB is a Maxon MCB-30 The whip is a standard magnetic base
    Should I buy a Better whip or?? I dont want to get to crazy
    on a real long whip because I wheel in the trees and half the
    time the K5 just fits or I just drag the side of the K5 through the brush and trees. Any help would be nice.

Thanks

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For those times I can't run a 102" becouse of trees or whatnot, I really like a magnet mount K40. Slap in down on the hood, hook up the coax, and I'm good to go. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif K40 info

3. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Maybe it's because nobody likes you /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Maybe you block the signal with your big ass /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Maybe your CB doesn't have a "stupidese translator" /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I have an antenna you can try out. I'm getting a different mount so I don't need the one I just bought. I want to look more like a redneck, so I'm going with the dual mirror mounts. Lemme know.

John

4. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

WOOHOO dual mirror mounts r the way to go!! I bought the firedtick kit and the mounts suck ass. Both of the antennas stick out to the side a little bit. They are angled out and look kind of shitty. SO my suggestion would be to not get the kit.

Nick

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Maybe it's because nobody likes you /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Maybe you block the signal with your big ass /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Maybe your CB doesn't have a "stupidese translator" /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I have an antenna you can try out. I'm getting a different mount so I don't need the one I just bought. I want to look more like a redneck, so I'm going with the dual mirror mounts. Lemme know.

John

[/ QUOTE ] Cophased (dual antennas) don't work worth a sh_t on our trucks becouse they're not wide enough. They're made for the big rigs, and need to be atleast 9 feet apart to work properly. Personally I prefer omni-directional to the front and back signal you get with a cophase, but then again, what would I know, I've only been running the radio for over 20 years, and have had some of the loudest 2 way radios according to the locals where I've lived.

6. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

My duals work great. Ive talked to a guy 30 miles away crystal clear while stuck in trafic one time. I dont need much more than that because I mostly use it on the trail.

Nick

7. firefighter184

Only one of them will be wired. I just really wanna go rednecky. I don't have a sister, so duals will have to work for now...

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Okay if you want to limit the preformance of your radio. In a 85 Monte Carlo I had a Cobra 29LTD Classic with a Valor power/echo mic, 102" Stainless Steel whip on a trunk mount. No linear, and I could get close to 50 miles, provided I was on top of a hill.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I hear that, runn one as a dummy for the dual look, I've seen alot of people do that.

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    For those times I can't run a 102" becouse of trees or whatnot, I really like a magnet mount K40. Slap in down on the hood, hook up the coax, and I'm good to go. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif K40 info

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya know, you don't really need to run a 102" whip, most if not all C.B. antennas are actually 102" they are just coiled up to some degree to shorten the overall height.

To the other person, if you are having problems hearing people, the SWR may be off on your setup, your magnet mount should be sufficient for use on the trails. How old is the radio and has it ever ben peaked and tuned? If not have a cb shop clean it up, run some decent coax and also wouldn't hurt to run a nicer antenna, if you still want to run a magnet mount,there are better quality ones out there.

The antenna i run, i bought when i used to drive trucks OTR, it is a 102" antenna, but is coiled up at the bottom, you may be able to see it in my photos of the truck, it's mounted on the drivers side rear bumber, unfortunately, it is very directional where it is mounted, but really don't use it for long distance communications, mainly just around the trails and it works great for that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

A buddy of mine has his mounted on the top of the truck, just about in the middle of the roof, he gets better range from his than mine, but then his is using the whole roof as a ground plane, if i wanted to go for the distance thing, i would have done the same thing, but i wanted mine low, out of the way, and just capable to chat with other drivers on the trails or close to me when driving down the road.

11. firefighter184

I have an SRW tuner thingy. It's easy to use and it makes a difference. Let's tune your radio first.

12. firefighter184

Bo is a weiner

13. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Ok lets give it a shot /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. firefighter184

Ya wanna come over Saturday afternnon or evening?

15. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I work on Saturdays how about Sunday?

16. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I was also wondering what about the kind that are used on cop cars? They are hard mounted to the roof what about that?

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I was also wondering what about the kind that are used on cop cars? They are hard mounted to the roof what about that?

[/ QUOTE ]If you're talking about the antenna cops use, forget it, CB is 11 meter, as where the cops are closer to 2 meter, well, atleast around here anyways. But anyways, the SWR's would be through the roof.

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya know, you don't really need to run a 102" whip, most if not all C.B. antennas are actually 102" they are just coiled up to some degree to shorten the overall height.

To the other person, if you are having problems hearing people, the SWR may be off on your setup, your magnet mount should be sufficient for use on the trails. How old is the radio and has it ever ben peaked and tuned? If not have a cb shop clean it up, run some decent coax and also wouldn't hurt to run a nicer antenna, if you still want to run a magnet mount,there are better quality ones out there.

The antenna i run, i bought when i used to drive trucks OTR, it is a 102" antenna, but is coiled up at the bottom, you may be able to see it in my photos of the truck, it's mounted on the drivers side rear bumber, unfortunately, it is very directional where it is mounted, but really don't use it for long distance communications, mainly just around the trails and it works great for that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

A buddy of mine has his mounted on the top of the truck, just about in the middle of the roof, he gets better range from his than mine, but then his is using the whole roof as a ground plane, if i wanted to go for the distance thing, i would have done the same thing, but i wanted mine low, out of the way, and just capable to chat with other drivers on the trails or close to me when driving down the road.

[/ QUOTE ] I hear where your comming from, but I have tried the shorter antennas and the 102" Stainless Steel whips out preform everything I've tried.

19. firefighter184

There is a shop down the street from my house called SBS Electronics. They do all kinds of stuff, from inverters to CB, to stereo. That's where I bought my stuff and they are really sharp with this stuff. They have several roof mount set-ups. They are only open M-F though. Wanna check them out Monday? I'm wheelin Sunday again. Thinking about running the same trail we ran last weekend, or even Twin Cone. As dry as it was up there, I'll bet Twin Cone is runnable.