Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CB in a Buick Regal?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by OFFRDK5, May 22, 2003.

1. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Need to put a CB in my car. Anyone put them in some cars? Where ya put em and what kind were they? What would you suggest for an antenna?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I used to run a Cobra 29 LTD Classic in a 85 Monte Carlo CL. I used a trunk-lip mount, heavy duty (Pot Belly) spring, and a 102" stainless steel whip antenna. Yes it did look like a overgrown remote controled car, but it preformed very well.I had no problem going through parking garages with it, the spring helps majorly. Didn't both me one bit hearing it tinging off things. Hell, the more beat up a 102 gets, the better it gets out, LOL. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. OFFRDK5

Where did you stuff the CB at? Little places to put thingas on my car are hard to come by!!

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

In the 85 Monte Carlo I had, I mounted the CB under the dash below where the stereo go's. I did have to remove the ash tray, but I flick my ashes out the window, and have one of those smokeless ash trays that look like a pop can anyways.

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh talkin bout 102's i never realized how much mine leans back at speed. Friend took a pic of my truck doin like 50 pic and that antennae is back, bet its terrible on the highway at 70+.... thread hijack over. Maybe try a K40 or wilson on it, guy at school w/ a 94 caddy has a K40 for scanner and a Wilson for cb.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Leaning back doesn't hurt the preformance of the 102 abit. I'm very pro 102" . I used them on cars way befor I ever bought my first K5. I even ran a 102 on my 89 Beretta. It might look alittle odd to some people, but NOTHING out preforms a 102 inch Stainless Steel whip antenna !!!!

7. bad andy

bad andy 1/2 ton status

i went out and got my 102" today i can't wait to mount it 2morrow and see how it works /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. OFFRDK5

Thanks for the info. Now I need to pick out the right CB. I don't have any spare room under my dash and if I took the ashtray out I wouldn't have that much room cuz its all one big center console!!

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

In my Beretta, I mounted the radio on the pass side of the console face up and back at a 30 degree angle. It was easy to read the meter at a glance. I lost alittle pass leg room, but no big deal. For a radio, look for something with a large easy to read meter. I'm a big fan of Galaxy. In the Beretta I ran a Galaxy DX-99V.

10. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

I had one in my 93 Regal a couple years back. I just used a Magnetic mount antenna. I ran the coax in the trunk throught hte back seat and up under the front seats hiden in the rear by the floor mats. As for mounting. I bought a floor mount from CB Exchange down in Mesa, AZ. It think it was like $17.00. You just mount you CB to it, it has a speaker in the front of it that you can hook to the CB so you can hear it a little better. I just set it on the hump between the front seats.

Although I would bet the new Reagals have a full center console huh? No worries, back in high school we mounted my friends CB on the passenger side of the center console. I guess you can mount it to the drivers side, but leg room was tight in the little Mercury Tracer. We used to call him RC cause his car looked like a little RC car with the Magnetic mount antenna on the back.

11. OFFRDK5

I was thinking about puting it there on the passenger side of the console. I went and took a look on how it might work and lo and behold there is already a cut in the carpet where someone else has run something and a few holes in the console!! Looks like that is where I am putting it. Hopefully I can stop people from calling my Blazer an RC car if I take the CB out of it!!

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

then theyll call ur car an rc car...and thats dumb anyway.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    then theyll call ur car an rc car...and thats dumb anyway.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Would you care if someone called your truck dumb ??? The way I see it, if it works the best, who cares what people think. I ran a 102 on a 85 Monte Carlo and it worked better then any other antenna I ever tried.

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

no, i ment like them saying that it was dumb ...was stupid..i didnt mean that his car would look dumb.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    no, i ment like them saying that it was dumb ...was stupid..i didnt mean that his car would look dumb.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I hear ya. I had a few people tell me a 102 looked stupid on my 85 Monte Carlo. I usely would ask them if it was thier car, after they said no, I'd tell them too go buy one of thier own and then they could do whaterver they want to it. That usely shut them up pretty quick. LOL. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

haha damn straight! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif