Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CB Installation

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bking, Jan 8, 2001.

1. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

ok, need some advice. Fitted a cb to the K5, mounted it on the front of the center console, using power from the cig lighter (As I do on my S10) BUT, I get terrible interference (Engine noise) over the speaker, is this because I'm using the cig lighter? Where, or what, is the closest and easiest place to get a power supply, instead of the cig lighter? AND will a direct power supply fix the noise interference?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Sounds to mee your Altinator needs a ground!
    Make sure your engine is gronded to the body too.
    I doubt it is your sig lighter but ya never know!
    Late

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

The cigarette lighter is probably one of the worst spots. The problem with all the accessories in the cab is that they recieve power from the altenator. The altenator produces an extremely large amount of in-line interferance. What you can do to to get the clearest sound is run directly to the battery. Use a 12 or 14 ga. wire to the battery hot terminal and use an line fuse holder near the battery with anywhere from a 2-4 amp fuse. The ground can be on any large metal object in the cab. When you run the wire go behind the grille and snap tie to the center support behind there. That way it is away from another noise maker, the distributor and is nicely tucked away under the upper grille panel. Try not to get near the radiator or engine though, all that heat isn't good.

K5:Big, slow, and flys through snow. [​IMG]

4. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i rewired everything under my carpet last weekend, and i took all the wires directly into the fuse box.
    works awesome!
    i had to get some connectors though. i got them from a junk yard out of an old sub. most subs and blazers will have connectors to something, jsut take em out cutt it off. and there ya go. thats the power, then ground the other wire to a bolt on the body
    its the best and looks good

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter