Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cb intalation help

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by unick, Oct 8, 2003.

1. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I just bought a Cobra 29 NW Classic CB Radio NightWatch off of ebay I Im wanting to intall it to the center consol. I got the same rdio for my brother and his is installed in the same location but it gets reallly bad reception. Its al static and engine noise. Is there any way (IE make a grounding strap and send it to ground) To make the CB not so staticy?

LMK
    Nick

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

A ground strap might help. You didn't say how bad the noise really is so it's hard to say if there is really a problem or if that is just the conditions of the band.

If you're getting ignition/alternator noise then it could be an easy fix or a real pain in the butt. It might be something as simple as getting a better ground or relocating the antenna or you might end up tearing up your whole vehicle tracking down a way to stop it.

A think ground strap is a good start and may solve your problem. It sure can't hurt much. The best thing to use is 1-3" wide copper strap but can be difficult to work with. heavy guage wire should work good enough though. Just attach it to one of the radio chassis screws and make sure it has a clean metal to metal contact with the vehicle for best results.

Good luck.