Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CB Noise ( Updated with FIX )

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by SS66, Mar 13, 2004.

1. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Ive had an old cb in my Ford /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif for awhile now. I went in there today and noticed there is 'pulsating noise'. The signal meter goes up then down up then down. On EVERY single channel. I dont know whats wrong it worked just fine last time I was listening to it. Do you think its possible the Fords vulnerability to breakage has been passed on to the helpless CB? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: CB Noise

[ QUOTE ]
    Ive had an old cb in my Ford /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif for awhile now. I went in there today and noticed there is 'pulsating noise'. The signal meter goes up then down up then down. On EVERY single channel. I dont know whats wrong it worked just fine last time I was listening to it. Do you think its possible the Fords vulnerability to breakage has been passed on to the helpless CB? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Does it do it with the engine off ??? If so, it's just skip.

3. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

It happens with the engine on or off. So... its just 'skip'? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

More then likely. During the daylight hours, skip is so bad that all you hear is white noise. Try your radio a couple hours after the sun go's down. If you still have the noise, then you might need to have it looked at.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If you don't know what skip is I'll tell you. Its a bunch of dudes without ham licenses talking sideband over long distances. When you remove the carrier and just use the sideband you can "skip" the signal very far.What z3pr was telling you is that the airwaves are flodded with so much talking going on that you are hearing that /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    If you don't know what skip is I'll tell you. Its a bunch of dudes without ham licenses talking sideband over long distances. When you remove the carrier and just use the sideband you can "skip" the signal very far.What z3pr was telling you is that the airwaves are flodded with so much talking going on that you are hearing that /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Skip is a condition where the signals (Doesn't matter if it's sideband or am) bounces off the ionisfear and ground and can travle for great distances. Something with the sun has alot to do with it, but I'm no expert, and I'm sure someone else can explain it better. But it's not caused by sideband use. Now when it get really heavy (You hear everyone all at the same time) it sounds like white noise.

7. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Skip is what radio waves that are transmitted, HF (frequency band CB's are in) and some lower VHF frequencies, do. When you transmit on HF it goes up to the atmosphere, and skips off various layers of the atmosphere, depending on atmospheric condition, time of day, and a bunch of other crap going on up there. You will get the best skip at night due to the way the atmospheric layers shift/align. Theoretically, you can talk literally half way around the world. From Little Rock, Arkansas, I've talked as far as Hawaii, New York State, and Tampa just to name a few with 400 watts on HF. It wasn't the same frequencies that a CB uses, but you get the idea. I can talk a lot farther at night in clear skies because of less transmission loss. Your problem isn't skip, because thats what the radio waves due. I would lean more toward the white noise (picking up other people transmissions), truck related problems, or the actual radio is messed. Sorry for the long drawn outness here. This deals with my job, and I can get long winded. Hope that helps!

Kris

8. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Pulsating noise sounds like ignition noise.
    Is the noise there only when the engine is running or the same with the engine off ??

9. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

I get the same noise with the motor on or off. It just started for no apparent reason. I guess its not a big deal though It was a free CB made in like 1978 I got another JCPenney brand CB I found at the dump last year I will hook up later to see if it works alright. Thanks guys

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    But it's not caused by sideband use

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it seems thats what most people are talking is ssb . AM skips too, but not as far. Just trying to make it easier to understand. All I really use the CB for anymore is trail use. Usually too many people on anymore to try to talk to someone. I really should get my code down and upgrade my amatuer license so I can go 10 meters. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    But it's not caused by sideband use

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it seems thats what most people are talking is ssb . AM skips too, but not as far. Just trying to make it easier to understand. All I really use the CB for anymore is trail use. Usually too many people on anymore to try to talk to someone. I really should get my code down and upgrade my amatuer license so I can go 10 meters. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]I hear ya, I really need to get off my lazyass and get my amatuer license also.

12. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Uh, I just put in another CB and I got the same damn pulsating noise. It just started doing this one day and hasnt stopped since. I have a feeling its something in the electrical system of the van. If it is, I dont understand why one random day it would just start up /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Its 2:30 AM so this fellow named Skip shouldnt be much of an issue. I get a clear signal on my wideband scanner /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Anyone got any ideas?

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Any large power lines overhead or nearby?

14. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Nope. It is without a doubt in my mind some problem coming out of the old 12V hole. Ive accepted that fact. What I cannot comprehend is why it worked fine for months and then one day it just started doing this. My van hasnt been moved since November, none of its internals have been touched. Just bad luck I guess. I may try hooking it up to the battery directly to avoid this. Should I hook Positive to positive and just ground the negative somewhere? Or do I do + to + and - to -? The power cord has a fuse built in. So doing this shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Try a noise supresser for car stereos. It just wires in line with your hot wire. I run my hot wire dirrectly off the battery, through a noise supresser, with the shortest possible ground wire. Works great for me. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

I told my grandfather about the problem I had, and he instantly told me what was causing it and what the solution was. This antenna is a Cobra magnet mount model. He said that after sitting for awhile they will sometimes get condensation under them and that will cause noise. Well, I didnt have condensation under mine but some nasty dry crud got under there somehow. I simply moved the antenna a inch to the left and now I have zero noise. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif