Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CB or CB w/SSB

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Big Blzn, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looking at buying a CB for my 72k5. Here's my question. I'm down to two Cobra models, one is the model 29WXNWST with all the goodies on it or should I go with the Cobra model 148GTL which is a CB but has the single-sideband capability. I'm not very familiar with CB's in general so I though I'd get some opinions. Would the SSB be better to reach further out in the event I had an emergency on the trail in the middle of nowhere? What are good antennas for long range that is still not a pain in the a$$ to fit into my garage.

2. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Depends on how much you can tweak them. I have a Ranger 2970 DX and I love the fact that I can program frequency rf power is adjustable (50 - 150 watts) and you can set it to scan frequencies. Ranger Communications Inc.

[​IMG]

3. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

It's true that 40 channels is probably enough. However I swapped to a ssb about a year ago just because I like to have the ability of going to other channels that most people aren't capable of using. That way you aren't talking over other people and visa versa.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I got a galaxy 959. It has SSB, its actually on its way back from Cali right now, had a little problem, sent it in for some warranty work. Even got a free peak/tune/alignment just for sending it in, lol. Gotta love their warranty too. 25 months either from date of purchase, or if you dont have receipt, date of manufacture. Most warrantys that Ive looked at are in the 6-12month area.

I like the SSB feature. Again, nice to be able to get to a channel where you arent being drowned out by a trucker with 1kw of power.

If you decide to go SSB, I would definately look into a galaxy cb. Either a 949 (actually cheaper than the 148) or the 959 like I have (10 bucks more than the 148). The new 148's arent near as good as the old ones were. Cobra has gotten alot cheaper in their quality from what I understand.

Of course you could always go and buy an export radio, but the FCC has begun to notice those radios here recently.

5. cabledawg

cabledawg Secret Squirrel Premium Member

Just realize that when using SSB, you can only talk to those that are on SSB channels. Example: your trail buddy has a regular CB and you're trying to get ahold of him. If you are on SSB, he'll never hear you.
    While SSB users are out there try to remember that most folks don't have them.

6. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Cool. Thanks for all the help.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

They will hear you ,BUT....

If you call a friend on an SSB CB radio,and he's only got a regular "AM" one,if you are both on say,channel 40,he WILL hear you--but you'll sound like Donald Duck,and he wont understand one word!..you have to both be on an SSB channel, or a regular AM channel to communicate..

Single Sideband is kind of like the new "HD" radios for FM--they not only give the usual 40 channels,but also an upper and lower sideband channel that is a bit higher and lower than the "normal" channel is..but you need BOTH radios to be on the same channel and mode,either SSB or AM...to complicate things further,some export radios have "sliders" that can be tuned anywhere from 25 mhz to 30 mhz,and some like the Galaxy even have an FM mode!..:doah:

I'd guess not that many Single Sidebanders are on the usual CB channels--most of them have modified their CB's to go "between channels" or have "uppers and lowers",and dont use the usual 40 channels much..SSB will go much farther though,its range is at least double what a normal AM CB will go..most Single Sideband users are into "shooting skip" and talk all over the world,which is quite possible,even with stock wattage (5 for AM,12 for SSB)..I've talked to friends in NC with my SSB rig,and many contacts in Barbados and Trinidad!..with NO linear amp!..:crazy:

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Depends on conditions , comes and goes . Search for radio propagation .

I was hearing a bunch of people the other night , but I really don't particular care to talk to most of the "CB" types of people . I am waiting until I upgrade my license so I can talk on the legitimate frequencies legitimately .

9. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

This is the one i have and i like it.especially the intercom feature. LOL.. Now its time to hook up the speaker.:haha:

10. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

The SSB is nice when you are in a group with others because you don't get the shiz from CB traffic. We used them in the twp for talk around. But as stated you need another radio on ssb. That said you do get more power in CB also.