Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cb Pa

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Snowman1000, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Snowman1000

Snowman1000 1/2 ton status

I know this is a little off topic but im wiring a pa system into my blazer. I wired the P.a. speaker to the radio and it works so I hooked it up to my cb pa port and it works but its really quiet. I used a set of broken headphones and the wires to hook up the jack to the back of the cb.(because I needed the plug in jack) Then I hooked that up to the back of the cb.Is it a possibility that im using too small of a guage of wire and its not letting it get loud enough or do I have bigger problems.

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

what kinda radio are you using? Dynamike is used as volume control alot of times for the PA outputs.

3. Snowman1000

Its just an old Corbra nothing special I will try another radio and see if that dosent help. I just didnt want to put an expensive radio in a truck I cant lock up.(no key to door locks and no rear window)

4. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

I used the same kinda wire (headphones). Mines not very loud at all either but I always thought it was the speaker. I'm sure there is some way to make it louder

5. cabledawg

cabledawg Secret Squirrel Premium Member

Both my Burbs have a minimum 18g wire to the PA speaker, doesnt need to be sheilded. I agree with K20 that there should be something called dynamike or mike gain to control the volume output of the speaker.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Most headphones are stereo , the PA plug is mono . Enough of the connecotr may not make good connection . Go to Radio Shack and buy a mono plug , and solder leads to it .

A PA speaker should be plenty loud with modest power .

7. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

or make your current plug mono to test it first...just partially unplug it. There are multiple rings that the signal runs through...you can see them on the tip so just partially unplug it and see if it helps.

8. Snowman1000

I will try tomorow and maybe if im out and about I will swing by radio shack and pick one up.

9. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Also, Make sure it is a 4 or 8 ohm pa speaker and not a commercial paging speaker that is set up 25 or 70 volts. I see these around at swap meets and people think they will work as CB PA speakers.

10. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

What happens if you use a speaker with too high voltage?

11. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

The speaker does not have high voltage - it uses a transformer to convert commercial 70 volt paging loop to standard 8 ohm impedance for the speaker. Most of the time if it's a commercial PA speaker it will just be really quiet as was described.