Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CB problem

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by CK5, Jul 22, 2000.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

OK, heres the problem, on my Cobra CB I can hear incoming traffic just fine and I can transmit when my K5 is not moving but when I am moving it transmits a loud noise and no one can hear me, do you think it is a bad ground connection?

Steve Fox
    90 3/4 ton K5
    [​IMG]

2. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

That is what I would check first. It sounds like to me you have something in your truck that is producing a high amount of RF noise. You might be able to get a noise filer to help, however I have found that those things dont usually work. Just my .o2

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. NEW AtlassII being installed

3. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Steve,

My neighbor has the same problem when his magnet mount antenae falls off the roof and into the bed of his rig. If he holds it on the roof it's fine. My assumption of the problem is that the antenae is not grounded properly. Maybe a bad ground on the mount or the coax has been crimped or squashed somewhere? Try checking the mount then try a temp coax cable to see if that does the trick. Good luck with it.

David 75K5

[​IMG] http://www.goldrush.coloradok5.com

4. slodawg

slodawg 1/2 ton status

Make sure your ant. is grounded straight to the frame of the truck. Run your C.B. supply power and ground straight from the battery (dont forget the fuse) and a cheap noise filter from radio shack. If your still getting noise this way you have some sort off short that is touching the frame.

<font color=blue>SLODAWG</font color=blue>
    http://www.slodawg.coloradok5.com

5. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

Are you certain you don't have an open on your Antenna and/or Hot lead? An intermittent internal connection would XMIT OK while stationary, but when vibrations increas--like moving in a 4 Whl environment, the connection would momentarily part and reconnect in corelation to the vibrations.

6. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

What model cobra do u have? Most cobras have dynamic nob try turning it counter clockwise and check with another radio. If you have a magnetic antenna throw it in the lake and get u a steel whip and mount it to a solid place on your hotrod.

Professional JEEP EATER, it's a population control thing

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

You are probably getting engine noise. Run your hot lead directly to the battery and that should solve a large part of the problem. If there is still noise simply drop in an inline filter. The antenna location could also have an effect. The ignition system is usually the culprit in these situations.

"An old Blazer never dies, they just... rust away."

8. TITAN

TITAN 1/2 ton status

Just remember one thing, always make your grounds as short as possible. Running a lead directly to the battery on its own line is fine. The only things that this accomplishes is that it will receive max voltage and amperage of the line capacity, it will insure that there is no line noise from haveing to "share" the line with anything else that might create a type of resonate noise or battle for overall amperage. The ground however needs to be as short as possible. True electron flow is from negative to positive. Welders, show trucks with large amps, even computers, you need a GOOD ground and short as possible. Your problem sounds like you could also have a bad plug. The antenna connects to a plug that in return will allow you to connect you cable to the antenna. If this plug is bad corroded or there is a short in it and the cable is shorting that is where all the broadcast noise is coming from. Just had to spout off. Hope it helps.

TITAN