Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cb problems

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by unick, Nov 26, 2003.

1. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Ok I just installed one of these.

I also put a PA speaker in. I have the twin firestick antennas. I had the CB and 1 antenna installed for about 3weeks and got NO reception. So last weekend I got off my lazy butt and installed the other one. Now I got weird static when Im driving and REALLY bad static when I roll my windows up or down. How can I fix this feedback? Also now that I installed the 2nd antenna my PA acts like an external speaker when the CB is in PA mode It doesnt make any noise when its in CB mode. Anyone know whats up with this stupid thing? It worked fine except for not getting reception before I installed the 2nd anteanna.

LMK
    Nick

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Now I got weird static when Im driving and REALLY bad static when I roll my windows up or down. How can I fix this feedback?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fix your ground. Use a ground strap, the shorter the better.

[ QUOTE ]
    Also now that I installed the 2nd antenna my PA acts like an external speaker when the CB is in PA mode It doesnt make any noise when its in CB mode.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your PA requires an external speaker to work and will only work if you CB is switched to PA. (Assuming its plugged into the PA jack on the back of tha CB). If you plug your speaker into the output jack of the CB it will work as a speaker for the CB and not the PA. Basically you have two jacks on the back of the CB, one is for the PA and the other is for the external output for recieving audio transmissions. If you wanna run both by just the flip of the switch, then you will need two speakers.

If you want to run duel antennas, then mount them as far away as possible from each other. Ideally 9 feet or as close to that as possible. Also run rg58, do not buy 2 pieces of coax (most single pieces are rg59) and a splitter. Buy a duel piece of coax that is 18feet long and run it.

Hopefully this will help. A couple of other guys on here, that know thier stuff, should chim in here shortly. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Get rid of the second antenae. Your truck isn't wide enough for them. They were designed for 18 wheelers. Other than that do what he said.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Agreed, get rid of the second antenna. Make sure squelch is down and RF gain all the way is up. If your radio has "Sound Tracker" button, shut that sh_t off.

5. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Why was the PA working fine and then acting like an external speaker when I put the other antenna in? It is in the PA jack thats the first thing I checked. The cable for the antennas has 3 connectors on it. 1 for the CB and 1 for each antenna

6. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Why was the PA working fine and then acting like an external speaker when I put the other antenna in?

[/ QUOTE ]
    ???? I don't know. They have nothing to do with each other. Thats kinda like finding a sqirrel in the middle of the ocean...

[ QUOTE ]
    The cable for the antennas has 3 connectors on it. 1 for the CB and 1 for each antenna

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah if you are going to run duel antennas, then you have the correct coax.

7. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

the cable came in a kit with the antennas. Im happy with the reception. The only problems are the PA and the feedback from the engine and power windows.

Nick

8. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

yea, thats a ground problem. mine did that until i replaced the electricians tape with a real connector /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mines grounded to the negative terminal on the battery (per cobra instructions) and i havent really had any static problems. reception and transmission is another story... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif