Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CB question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Gmck2500mudder, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Gmck2500mudder

Gmck2500mudder Registered Member

I am lookin for a good ssb radio that I can use on the road and in the trail. I am lookin at the Cobra 148 GTL and the Uniden Grant LT. I also looked at the Cobra 138 XLR. Which one of these radios would be my best bet? Any other suggestions?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

both good..

I had a Cobra 148GTL years ago--it was "peaked" and had "extra channels"..I talked to folks from all over the USA and even Bermuda and Haiti with it!...I believe Uniden is part of Cobra now..Uniden makes some good CB's,and the "President" series were good ones that were popular with those who "tweaked" them for more power and channels..

The "Ranger" radios were good units too..my favorite CB was a "Galaxy" base station a friend had,it was an import that wasn't exactly legal here,but many guys had them,and used linears with them..a good "Moonbeam" antenna and a Galaxy radio could "talk" to others over very long distances ..my friend spoke to his dad in north carolina every morning at 5 am when the skip was in,from the Boston area,and only once in a while was he unable to hear him..his dad had a "President Lincoln" radio that was beefed up..

I have a Courier "Centurion" base station with SSB and a Turner power mike--its got extra channels,and it puts out 15W...I havent used it in a long time--my Antron 99 antenna snapped in a thunderstorm a few years ago--someday I'll put one of my 9' whips on the pole instead,and see if it works still--last I recall the relay for the mike was sticking..:crazy:

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I actually just picked up a galaxy 959, got it on ebay brand new, still in shrinkwrap for 140, most ebay places want 169-199 for it. Cb shops want 170+, even saw one place online asking 259 for it.

Havent got it in the truck yet, but it looks cool sittin in my closet lol. Lotsa knobs and shiny things, lol lol lol.

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Shiny things good!!!!

5. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Galaxy 959....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Avery

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

good deal!..

You got a good price on it!--The Galaxy radio's I was refering to were the "base" station models that are as big as a small TV!(I didn't know they made "mobile" ones until I saw yours!)--the base sets have at least 20 knobs on them,and are contuniously tuneable between channels (AKA a "slider")..and has an FM mode as well as AM...one my friend owned went from 25 to 30 Mghz--completely illegal,but he used it for years and was never bothered..but he did tend to keep it mostly on the "legal" channels..I think he paid 500 bucks for his new,and the guy tossed in a used "Moonraker" beam antenna with it..he could talk over just about anyone elses radio,and had more range too...:crazy: