Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CB questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by garlicbreath, Aug 3, 2006.

1. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I am putting a CB in the blazer and need some advice. I picked up a Uniden 68XL and need an antenna. I like the long steel whips the best, and would keep it tied up when on the trail, but it seems alot of people frown on them. WHat do you guys run and do you like it? Any tips on CB tweeking for better reception or transmit range? What about antenna location, is that important? I won't mount it to the body, I was thinking the back bumper.

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

A 102 is what I run right now, mounted to the right rear of the bumper. An antenna works best when its placed in the center of the vehicle, think dead center of the roof. Im about to swap up my cb setup, get rid of the 102, my cobra 75, and Im going to change to a predator 10k mounted on the toolbox & a galaxy 959.

I have a 100w linear, which helps the transmit range, but dont tell uncle charlie.

3. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

As far as peakin an tweakin, if you live near any truck stop they tend to have cb shops close by, I would take it to one of them and they can do it for you. Average cost is anywhere from $20-25 on up.

I have a Uniden PC76XL that's about 7 years old. I used to run it in my Pete when I ran over the road. The last guy I had look at it was about 5 years ago, it's putting out around 35-40 watts. When I had it hooked up to a set of Wilson 5000's I had no problem getting out 25-30 miles. When hooked to my Palomar 350 and the Wilsons...across the country was not a problem. Now I have it hooked to a single Wilson 2000 and it still has very good range.

If you do go to a cb shop, pay the extra to have them tune it to your radio, the performance will be a lot better.

Andy

4. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

i personaly run an 8ft steel whip. I love it huge and fun to play with when people are standin around your truck after school and not lookin. lol mine is mounted to my rear bumper, i drilled 2 holes and bent piece of flat iron, screwed it to the bumper.

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

There is a "Communications" fourm on this site that has lots of info. You can take a look there for more tips :cool1:

6. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Well I'll be, I never even slowed my scroll wheel down long enough to see that! Thanks.

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

102" whips are awesome. They are very tough, transmit/receive very well, and don't need tuned. Grounding the mount good is real important. If you make a mount on a bumper, you may want to put a ground strap from the bumper to the frame. Use a grinder and get both down to clean bare metal. I also run ground straps from the battery to the frame and the body to the frame. For the radio, I connect the negative wire of the radio to the battery and also ground the case of the radio to the body of the truck.

8. Gmck2500mudder

Gmck2500mudder Registered Member

What is a linear? Is it like a pre-amp?

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

It ups the transmit power, from the legal 4w, to whatever the amp is rated at. If you were to get a cb that had SSB your power would effectively double.

In regular operation you can push 8w on SSB, but with a 100w amp, it will push 200w on SSB.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  10. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the sig. :haha:

11. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

thnx i can see why that could be misinterperted SP?

12. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

A SSB rig pushes around 12W

13. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh thats what I meant *slap*, what was I thinkin