Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CB radio help

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by 85GMCJimmy, Jun 23, 2002.

1. 85GMCJimmy

85GMCJimmy Registered Member

My friend just has bought a CB radio from Radio Shack, and it does not seem to be able to pull in a signal and barely transmits a signal. He has check the SWR and it's below 1.5. The radio be bought from Radio Shack is the model that runs about $70.00. He is also running and 8.5 foot steel whip antenna, mounted to the side of the body. Is there anything wrong with this or what?????

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

As long as the SWR is below 1.5 I don't see a problem with the anteena and coax. I think the biggest MISTAKE was buying at Radioshack. I'm not a fan of Radioshack. I recomened takeing it back for a refund if possible and buying a Cobra, or Uniden. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

3. Smurfmobile85

Smurfmobile85 1/2 ton status

We bought a really nice factory refurbished Cobra for about $80 bucks at a local truck stop. It works 10x better than the old radio shack one my dad gave me, and the radio is all we changed. The name brand radios are worth the money in my opinion. DNA

4. 85GMCJimmy

85GMCJimmy Registered Member

Yeah, guys thats what i thought all along as well. I just figured i would post it up just incase, you know?? By the way I told him before he got the radio shack one, to get a Cobra or a Uniden, and do it right the first time, and be done with it,, thanks guys