Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cb radio questions...

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jul 19, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay, on my long list of things I want for the k5, I think it is nessary to have a CB radio so when on trail rides I can talk back and forth to other rigs (if they have a CB) about what it looks like ahead and etc.
    But I was just wondering, How long are the attenas' (sp?) you need for them? And what is a good CB radio?
    I'm not looking to buy anytime soon, but a few questions I had on mind. Thanmks

Steve

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For a basic CB, I recomend a Cobra 29 LTD Classic. But if you want more then a basic CB, alot of people (Inclueding myself) start with a 10 meter radio and modifie it for 11 meter (CB) use. Antenna ??? I belive nothing can beat the 102" stainless steel whip, but they are dangerous on the trail. So something like a magnet mount K40 is handy too have.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

what are the magnetic mount k40?
    When you say motify, what would I have to do to change it to 11 meter (CB)??
    Thanks!

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you've never modified a radio, don't attempt it, take it too someone who knows what they're doing. K40 antenna [​IMG]

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I wouldn't worry about other radios if you are new to this . Just get a basic Cobra radio for trail rig to trail rig and that magnet mount antenna and you'll be happy . Later as you are a little more experienced you can sell it and get a bigger badder radio . The 10 meter radios are for licensed amatuers ( Canada has thier own rules on these ) and have frequencies ( channels ) that can be used for talking very long distances to people all over the globe when conditions and power are right /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

In the US, you cant "Legally" modify or have possession of a Modified 10M to 11M radio. However...........theres lots of them out there.

As Paul has mentioned, the 102" (1/4 wave) whip is the best antenna, but the K40 is hard to beat for its size. I run the K40 on the motorhome and have run it on other vehicles. Its a good "compromise" antenna /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How tall is the k40 atena? It looks like they cut the top part of in the picture. Where is the common spot to mount them, I was thinking back bumper, so mud/rocks/trees can't grab it on the hood /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Where do I find this cobra radio? Are there any that are water proof, or do I have to figure something out for that?
    Any links to the cobra radio? Thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    How tall is the k40 atena? It looks like they cut the top part of in the picture. Where is the common spot to mount them, I was thinking back bumper, so mud/rocks/trees can't grab it on the hood /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Where do I find this cobra radio? Are there any that are water proof, or do I have to figure something out for that?
    Any links to the cobra radio? Thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Personally I'd go with a 102" for everyday, but take it off on the trails and slap the K40 on the hood. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

This will be a trail rig only, no street...so I don't want a dangerous whip intenna flying around /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Any info on the cobras?

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Best option too find them cheap, EBAY.

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay I will look on there when I get back. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Oh, and what is there full name? So when I do a search I dont get a whole bunch of different ones...

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Cobra makes alot of different models. For just a strait 40 channel CB, I personally prefer the 29 LTD Classic. But that was befor I got into sideband.

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay thanks. I will search for those when I get back.