Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CB shops?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by BadDog, Aug 9, 2002.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Where is the best place to get CB equipment in the Phoenix area?

2. FWP

FWP CRS

I got a few buds up here that may have something, pretty trick stuff, depending on what you're looking for. I know you said Phx, but thought I would toss it out there for you...

Fred

3. BadDog

Long drive, but thanks anyway. I'm thinking maybe a "mini Will" (Willson?) magnetic mount. That way when it's looking hairy, I can pop it off the top and put it on the floor or something...

Hmm, just remembered, there is a communications forum here, maybe I should post there...

4. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Russ,

Buy a cheap Uniden raido off the internet from Uniden website directly, I've bought 2 reconditioned units from them alread, somewhere around 20.00 off the net. By law all CB radios put out the same wattage, the real trick is in the antenna.

Firestick has an adjustable self tunning tip antenna and they are made locally in Phoenix, I was there just yesterday and bought another antenna, and base mount. It was cheap and it's the best on the market in my opinion. They sell the antenna, cable and mounting hardware, I think they even have magnetic mounts.

I have 3 uniden in all my cars, and 3 firestick in all my cars and I even gave one to Marv, they are easy to tune, very inexpensive and very user friendly. I would recomend using a hard mount, it's easier and will give a better tune in my opinion. I have a SWR meter if you need help setting it up. It's real easy.

Now let me give the standard disclaimer, Fred/FWP has a much better radio than mine, and let me tell you, it put's out the watts. He is the DOG when it comes to radios, but he also has some contacts where he lives regarding radio.

I got my radio in the Blazer to SWR at a 1:1 on the meter, that awesome considering the issues with setting up a radio on a blazer.

It's all about the tuning of the antenna, the radios are generic. And the tuning of the radios is all about the ground plane of the vehicle you are mounting it in.

That's my .02. Let me know if you want some help with the setup.

Thanks,
    Rob

5. Haulgas

Haulgas 1/2 ton status

Bronco One/ 32nd & Bell Rd... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

6. BadDog

I already bought a cheap 40 ch. Uniden, cost me less than $30 on clearance. Where are the Firesticks made (or cheapest place to get them)? I know absolutely nothing about CBs so any help would be appreciated.

7. BadDog

I talked to a guy there on the phone earlier today. Seemed to me he wanted to sell me a specific unit, didn't want to listen to my questions or concerns. Maybe he was just busy, wasn't really rude, but it seemed he had already decided what I needed before he answered the phone. Made me feel like he had an overstock or cheap bulk deal to move some units? Anyway, I'll probably run by and see them in person if nothing better comes up...

8. therobzilla

By the antenna from Firestick direclty, they have their factory in Phoenix, not open on weekends, just weekdays, their in the yellow pages un Raidos, CB.

By the 4' Firestick two with a hard mount, don't use the magnetic mount, hard mount it on the blazer somewhere. Make sure you get the 18' of coax, or "Firewire", it has to be the preselected lenght.

I'll call you.

Rob

9. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

43rd ave and northern...nw corner behind sonic...Apollo communication....they took care of me for years!

DW

10. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

how do you go about getting a radio "tweaked & peaked" its illegal right(which i don't really see the big deal), i mean you can't just go to a cb shop and be like "can you illegally tune my radio" becasue who will do it? /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yep, I have beem to Apollo several times, and they seem to know the stuff. They can tweek and peak a radio for you legally i believe. They just tune it like you would tune a motor. It will only make so much hp, but they can tune it for peak effeciency. (timing the motor, adjustin the carb, ect.)

12. BadDog

Ok, I've got the Firestick and a Uniden mounted and ready to go, almost. Anyone around PHX feeling helpful and generous who also has a SWR meter? I need some help setting it up and I have no idea what to do, nor do I have the meter... Gotta get it ready for Moab!

13. therobzilla

Russ,

Bring it to Moab and I will tune it for you, just make sure the mounting point is set and I will bring my SWR, it only takes about 20 minutes.

I would come over, but I'm still not done moving my house. It's going to be close, but I'm going to make it.

Rob

14. BadDog

Cool, thanks...