Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CB stopped transmitting...

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by stallion85, Sep 14, 2005.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I don't know too much about cb's but, I have a little cobra I use for trail rides. Last wheeling trip it stopped transmitting, well people could hear me trying to transmit but it came through all broken up. I can hear them perfect.......hmmm. I don't think it would be the antenna since it worked fine for the first half. Could it be the mic?

Thanks for any help guys :wink1:

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

THere should be a "transmit" light on the CB. If it lights up when you key the mike, you more likely have a bad connection to the antenna. That's what caused me trouble until I got it properly hooked up. Check those connections first.

What kind of antenna/mount do you have?

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I will have to go home and look at the antenna. I know it is a Wilson brand. I will check the connections as the light does come on when I hit the mic. thanks :wink1:

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Depending on how it's mounted, you might also need a grounding wire connected to the frame. My wilson is mounted through the roof, but to get the SWR down, I needed two grounds (the through mount was not enough). If you know someone with an SWR meter, hook it up and post the reading.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Most comman "broken transmitting" is a bad wire in the mic. Usely at the plug end of the mic.